Queen gone off lay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a Queen who is about 3 years old. At the beginning of this season, she was very active - laid edge-to-edge on practically every frame of a brood-and-a-half British Standard National hive.

Three weeks ago I did a usual inspection, and found the brood had reduced to practically nothing, and everything in the brood section was filled with honey. Couldn't find eggs anywhere. Gave her the benefit of the doubt and left it for 7 days.

Checked again, and found 5-6 day old larvae on 4 frames both sides, so figured I must've missed the eggs.

Checked yesterday, and there is brood. Again I see 5-6 day old larvae, and capped brood. But brood only covers both sides of 5 frames and everything else is absolutely full of honey.

2 Play cells. No other trace of Q-cells. I figure they have sufficient to rear an emergency Q if they need to.

Above the brood box, 2 full supers of honey. I added another super.

What's going on, is my Queen failing? How can I help them (if at all)?

You have sort of answered it yourself. Two full supers and honey in the brood.... Ran out of room! There instinct is to collect honey. Now you have provided another super it should improve but they are likely to supersede her at that age!
E

Lol. Yes, I guess I did underestimate supers; I realise I am not used to such grand summers anymore. I haven't been a beekeeper for that long, and have never seen such a strong flow before.

I hope I have not disadvantaged them for winter. But I guess there is still enough time to build up brood ...

PS: I have been hoping for supercedure at some point, although she has been such a lovely, lovely Queen. Looking forward to having one of her daughters follow her!

PPS: Thanks, Enrico :)

Last edited:
Like you margo, this has been an incredible summer. I have been keeping bees for years but I still ran out of kit this year! I am looking at about 300 lbs at least of three main hives! Most of it lovely green lime honey.
I love it!

I have a Queen who is about 3 years old. At the beginning of this season, she was very active - laid edge-to-edge on practically every frame of a brood-and-a-half British Standard National hive.

Three weeks ago I did a usual inspection, and found the brood had reduced to practically nothing, and everything in the brood section was filled with honey. Couldn't find eggs anywhere. Gave her the benefit of the doubt and left it for 7 days.

Checked again, and found 5-6 day old larvae on 4 frames both sides, so figured I must've missed the eggs.

Checked yesterday, and there is brood. Again I see 5-6 day old larvae, and capped brood. But brood only covers both sides of 5 frames and everything else is absolutely full of honey.

2 Play cells. No other trace of Q-cells. I figure they have sufficient to rear an emergency Q if they need to.

Above the brood box, 2 full supers of honey. I added another super.

What's going on, is my Queen failing? How can I help them (if at all)?

How often were you inspecting?

There are potentially many causes...
we had an outbreak of sac brood. The queen went off lay.we went to zero brood in thecolony. Then she started again. No evidence of supercedure.

Sounds to me like she is getting old. I would be worried about her making it till Spring. Your decision, as to whether you leave the bees to decide or requeen before it's too late. On your next inspection you may see supercedure cells. If not you probably should make the call either way before too late.

If it was me I would requeen, either by buying a queen or getting them to rear a new one, depending on the amount of drones still around. Around here I often still have queens getting mated in September.

Last edited:
Back