QC in the AS part.....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenviewbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok - last Thurs I did an AS on my colony as there were charged QC (uncapped)
I left the uncapped QC in the original hive (OH) in a new position with all the brood bar 1 frame - that went with the Queen to the new hive (NH) in the original position.
I swear there were no queen cups/cells on the brood frame in the NH.

So, 1 week later (today), I moved the OH to the other side of the NH (to bleed off the fliers as per our newbie class instructions) and I check on the state of the colony - that's when I discover that the charged QC that had been on the bottom of the frame has completely disappeared.... no sign AT ALL :hairpull: And now there seem to be a few emergency queen cells in evidence dotted around and about, some capped and some open. I put the hive back together again and withdrew very confused.

Meanwhile, the NH, on inspection I find BIAS and ........ a capped, solitary, very well formed Queen Cell :hairpull: This cell is not on the edge of the frame, it is pretty central and there are no other queen cups/cells in the colony. I did look for the queen, but couldn't see her, there were eggs so she has been there until at least very recently, but I am wondering if she has now gone. I do feel like the number of bees has reduced but am not 100% certain. I have decided not to do anything and let them get on with it.

And then, to cap it all, when I go and have a look at the hives a couple of hours later (just look, no interfering) there is a SCRUM of fliers queuing up to get into the OH - despite the fact that the move from one side of the NH to the other is supposed to reduce the number of flying bees.

So - I only have the 2 colonies, which were 1 colony until last week, so don't have much in the way of resources/bee numbers so any advice as to how I might proceed - or is my best bet to sit on my hands and see what happens?

Latest posts

Back