propolis

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To all those who keep removing propolis in order to have a 'nice clean and tidy hive', I respectfully suggest that you read a little more about the role of propolis in the health of the beehive - as more enlightened beekeepers are actually putting more of the stuff on - not taking it off !

Here's a couple of links to get you started (there are many more):

http://beeinformed.org/2011/10/propolis-and-bee-health/

http://www.ccpollen.com/bee-propolis-story.html

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/sick-bees-part-3-the-bee-immune-system/
(in which Randy writes "Perhaps we have been shooting ourselves in the foot by breeding for bees that don’t use much propolis!").

Some people are catching on fast - whereas others ...

LJ

All my hives were treacle mines on my last visit, Winter approaches :(

It's probably a reason to stop opening them up one they've started sealing the place up for winter.

Ummm.
I don't think anyone was suggesting using antibiotics for hive cleaning.

Anti-biotics were referred to in the context of: "human beings and their obsession with killing bugs and bacteria".
For that is our on-going paradigm - rather than accepting that bugs and bacteria are present pretty-much everywhere, and finding a lasting solution to some kind of acceptable co-existence, rather than devising ever newer methods of killing them - which only ever works until the targeted species mutate and thus circumvents the new method.

I would be the first to burn a hive if AFB was ever detected (because that is what the law requires), even though I know full well that such action can never provide a long-term solution, for survivor stock can never emerge from such a policy.

LJ

... I sell a tea spoon of propolis in a vial holding 35ml of surgicial spirit to the polish health shops ...

Sorry ... I just scrape it off .. my word 'clean' probably a misnomer. I use frame and hive scrapings ...

HP - do you 'clean' the propolis before adding it to your vial of surgical spirit, or do you just use scrapings like Pargyle?

Are there rules and regulations to comply with when selling propolis?

Kitta

I bought some propolis and eucalyptis sweets at a honey stall in a French market last month. The box says it's to remove cats from the throat. It works. I've not had a cat in my throat since.

The box says it's to remove cats from the throat. It works. I've not had a cat in my throat since.

Woke up last Saturday morning and was convinced one had used my mouth as a litter tray, so maybe i should get some

what a good idea. what proporttions do you mix?

I hav'nt tried it as a varnish what a good Idea, I have made some about the consistency of varnish by steeping 1oz of propolis in 10ml of Ethyl Alcohol in a jar heated in hot tap water ("not boiling" could burst into flame if near a naked flame) and then resting for a couple of nights and then straining into a suitable bottle, I made it for a non toxic tincture for wounds abscess etc.

I am curious, how much is payed to beekeeper for dry propolis ( per kg) in UK?

To don't just ask, to give some trivia - did You know when use propolis tincture with antibiotics that increases effect of antibiotics for unbeliavable 300%. I was stunned when heard..

To don't just ask, to give some trivia - did You know when use propolis tincture with antibiotics that increases effect of antibiotics for unbeliavable 300%. I was stunned when heard..

Link?

I was at one education which held as part of one bee fair over here ( about month ago), and in questions to dr. sc. which held education about propolis he answered that propolis with antibiotics show strong synergistic effect - which was already proven. I must dig info who actually mentioned 300% ( people who ask or some other). But if I find I will let You know.

By the way, You know some orienting price for it? Here we feel they want to rip us for it ( who buy on large)..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back