Preparing to sell a hive/nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
Fingers crossed that they make it through the remainder of the winter, I will have two full hives and one NuC all on 14x12 frames, what preparations should I make before selling one of them? My allotment only allows me to have two, so I shall need to let one go. Is it wrong to get rid of my least favourite hive temperament wise? What health checks do I need to do before selling?

Easiest way would be to take one to your most local auction, where usually the local bee inspector will examine all the colonies for sale before the auction and generally, someone from the association will tag along and make notes for the auction programme so that any bidders have a fair idea of what they're bidding on.

Is it worth advertising them on the forum?

Fingers crossed that they make it through the remainder of the winter, I will have two full hives and one NuC all on 14x12 frames, what preparations should I make before selling one of them? My allotment only allows me to have two, so I shall need to let one go. Is it wrong to get rid of my least favourite hive temperament wise? What health checks do I need to do before selling?

If you wanted to buy it, what would you want/accept?

Ah I would love an out apiary but I also think trying to stick at two hives for the time being is a good idea, due to work commitments. As for what I would expect if I was buying, I don't know really, oxalis at crimbo, new ish hive if I was buying that as well and a Marked queen with good laying pattern....... Etc etc

Some local auctions don't accept bees or drawn comb....

If one colony is bad tempered, it would be tempting to sell it. Better to combine it with another and squash the queen unless someone really knew what he was doing and accepted the consequences.

Latest posts

Back