Please turn the Lime off

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Please someone turn the lime off.
I am out of kit, I have swarms from earlier in the year that are only on five seams of bees in the brood box filling their second super.
I have swarm cells being made by the dozen because no one has any room, I am extracting honey as fast as I dare as soon as the water percentage touches the line to free up more supers!
I thought last year was a good year.... but this year...... best ever :)
I am not really complaining but I am definitely into my second swarming season this year (Two in one day two days ago) with no kit left for AS's or collecting them!
Next year will probably be pants!
Tee Hee
e

Just wondering if bees are often the cause of marital breakdown. (Having seen the 'Tales of the Unexpected' episode from a few years ago.)

The financial strain of all this kit is beginning to tell!

Thats why I am determined not to go out and buy more. I will just reduce the number of hives to make sure I have the right amount of kit! Its just that the last two years have been exceptional for the lime here!
e

How do you know if they are specifically working the lime? I have about 12 semi mature Lime trees within about 400 yards of my hives, so I was expecting good things. They don't seem to be off in that general direction, and are coming back white so I think they are on the HB. Supers are not filling that fast. Mind you, the little blighters are so intent on swarming it is difficult to keep them in the hive long enough!! My big problem is that I am having to give them foundation which I think is slowing them down.

Next year you will be swimming in empty brood boxes :)

How do you know if they are specifically working the lime? I have about 12 semi mature Lime trees within about 400 yards of my hives, so I was expecting good things. They don't seem to be off in that general direction, and are coming back white so I think they are on the HB. Supers are not filling that fast. Mind you, the little blighters are so intent on swarming it is difficult to keep them in the hive long enough!! My big problem is that I am having to give them foundation which I think is slowing them down.

I am fortunate (!!!!) in that the only crop I get at this time of the year is lime, 17 massive trees covered in millions of flowers, they leave in that direction in their hundreds! Oh and the honey is green! (Ish)
E

I counted those Lime trees near me, thirteen of them within 200 yards of the house and no hives at home anymore.

It's worth bringing one just for the couple of weeks the lime is open!
Or selling the space ! :)
E

Enrico.. I have a couple of poly nucs if you need to borrow something.... And a few P*ynes poly supers if you want them,
Craig
PM me if you want my number.

I know the feeling Enrico. I have 6 hives in one of my out apiaries at a country house that has a 3 mile avenue of mature lime trees. They sit at one end of it and I'm having to manufacture supers at a rate of 4 per week to keep up. The bramble is coming on hot on the heels of the lime so its looking like it'll be no rest until the end of August! Spin spin spin that man! :)

galileo you're not that far from me and the bramble is well past it's best here. Lime and clover here and, like enrico, no more kit.

No marital stress though … I never admit to 'outlay', get big boxes of flat-packed goodies delivered to work, build things in the garage and make sure I have enough jarred honey at all times to give to grateful friends and relations (hers, not mine).

Keeping a pile of £20 notes under a Post-it note stating 'honey sales' is also a good ploy. Just make sure you rough 'em up a bit after getting them from the cash dispenser.

Enrico - as some one who knows nothing about lime trees nor has access to them, is it true that these trees also produce honeydew and if so to what extent? Do the bees mix the honeydew and the nectar from the flowers ? How can you tell which is which? When you ask for the tap to be turned off - are you talking nectar or honeydew? Just curious, honeydew is something I find very interesting.

Hi Enrico,
I thought my main Lime flow was over and it has just begun! The trees give off a very nice scent in the evening. Isn't it great to be a beekeeper!

Enrico - as some one who knows nothing about lime trees nor has access to them, is it true that these trees also produce honeydew and if so to what extent? Do the bees mix the honeydew and the nectar from the flowers ? How can you tell which is which? When you ask for the tap to be turned off - are you talking nectar or honeydew? Just curious, honeydew is something I find very interesting.

I have never, to my knowledge, had honeydew from the lime trees.
All I know is the honey never seems to set, it just stays like gold in the jars!
E

Latest posts

Back