Plantlife verge campaign (non-political)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itma

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Campaign for more wildlife-friendly (ie ultimately bee-friendly) management of roadsides.

Seems such an uncontroversial no-brainer that it shouldn't need a campaign.
But it does.

Worth supporting.
Even if Mr Titchmarsh has lent his face to 'front' the thing.

Details here - http://www.plantlife.org.uk/roadvergecampaign

Looks my council, Gateshead, have signed up. Hope this initiative produces some great results.

It was happening before this campaign I think - great thing this 'credit crunch' cutback in CC funding meant that officers were looking for excuses to economise. Did quite a bit with a mate who is the councillor in charge of highways maintenance, parks and such in Carmarthenshire - more wildflower meadow planting less mowing etc. Just remember one thing - they would probably happily abandon roadside verge mowing completely but then you'd have motorists and motoring organisations up in arms about elf an safety and cutting back foliage so they can see ahead etc - it's a fine line they're treading to keep both camps happy. The Welsh Government pollinator plan specifically mentioned more sensible maintenance of roadside areas and open parkland. Unfortunately the sacking of the minister who championed the campaign has put a bit of a dampener on things.

There is another side to this that is often forgotten about, and thats the jobs that will be lost due to the verges not being cut. I see both sides of this as I have lads that work with me that do the verges, and of course I am a beekeeper.

It has all ready started here, and nothing to do with the head of Swansea parks department being a beekeeper.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-28054945
http://www.swansea.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=58143

As one can expect there are mixed feelings about wild flowers replacing traditional flower beds and some even call it a mess and I can sympathise with them to a certain degree and to be honest there are places where a traditional flower bed did look better than wild flowers, also not too sure if some of the mixes were the right choice

Last edited:
All good and I have noticed less mowing since the credit crunch.

Need to work more on farmers - I'm convinced that herbicide spray drift over the years has had a detrimental effect on ditches and hedgerows. The less arable parts of the country has more roadside plants.

What a brill campaign, wish it happened here in Ireland. Campaign or not, I'm a big fan of gorilla gardening - once its bee friendly.

There is another side to this that is often forgotten about, and thats the jobs that will be lost due to the verges not being cut.

:iagree:

I'm a big fan of gorilla gardening

Yes, it's all well and good until the mating season when they start beating their chests and throwing their sh!t around!

Signed up, seen a few verges that are well planted maintained rather than just mown or left to their own devices (, there should be more.
Councils could try abit harder.

Last edited:
Signed up, seen a few verges that are well planted maintained rather than just mown or left to their own devices (, there should be more.
Councils could try abit harder.

There is a code of practice which council highways departments can hide behind :(

Latest posts

Back