Plans for Comb Display case

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuswellMetro

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
does anyone have a link to plans or plans to make a Honey comb frame display Show Case for Manleyframes or an a SN1 plan that i can modifed for Manleys

i have a very white and even manley frame of comb .Its from a nice black mongrel Bee and although i can borrow my associations frame display cases they all look like they are out of the Ark and some have woodworm and all only takes SN1s

Last edited:
Could you use the plans for an observation hive, cut down to the right height for one frame?

I think the display cases should take the Manley frames Geoff unless they have only been made for eleven or twelve spaced frames and a pretty pointless exercise if so. I rather like the display cases that have character and show a bit of age, but if they are past it perhaps best to start again and the simplest way around it is to measure your frame allow space and then build your case.

I have a couple on the shelf and should take Manly frames as from memory they are only ten spacings and you are welcome to borrow one, but may put us in competition at the national honey show as I intended to enter a frame or two.

I made a very simple case from a plank of planed pine, 140mm x 16mm (nominal). Cut two pieces at about 18" for the top and bottom and two at 6.5" for the ends or sides.

I put a 3-4mm channel about 10mm in from each of the front and back edges on the base and sides to take the glass. On the base, I cut a channel 16mm wide and about 6-7mm deep from the front to back of the base (about 1.5" from each end) to take the upstanding ends - or sides - of the box. The "lid" of the box just rests on top, with simple dowels to locate it so that it doesn't slide about.

I bought the glass with arrissed(?) edges, to fit - took the box to the glazier, as I don't trust my measuring!

Finished the woodwork with plain wax finish - oh, and added a couple of brass screws to secure the frame in transit.

Now, you can probably tell from my description, I am no woodworker, but the box works and looks reasonably tidy, and I doubt I will ever produce a frame that will be too wide to fit! Otherwise I need a wider plank and another evening class!!

They don't look to hard to make after inspecting a few of JBM's, are there any rules as to what materials you can use as I have a nice supply of brushed and polished aluminium

Sorry Geoff I did search the net and found nothing which is a bit surprising !

The Harry Grainger trophy for the best comb in the National HS is made of stainless steel.....I've never seen an exhibit in one, but neither have I seen anything in any rules to say it couldn't be, though. Afaik, the case isn't supposed to be assessed.

The Harry Grainger trophy for the best comb in the National HS is made of stainless steel.....I've never seen an exhibit in one, but neither have I seen anything in any rules to say it couldn't be, though. Afaik, the case isn't supposed to be assessed.

Thanks I might give it a go If I decide to show one

are there any rules as to what materials you can use as I have a nice supply of brushed and polished aluminium

!

Only stipulations I could find is that the cases should be 'bee tight' and easy for the judge to open.

Couple of old windows..

I made a mistke with my obs hive inthat I thought thet hinged doors would be a good idea...
No way... Bees dont move out of the way when you want to close it.

If its for temporary display I think that being able to put the frame in form the top might work well.

Latest posts

Back