Overwintering on double brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I’m in my third year and trying to learn as much as I can. I’ve heard folk on here generally talking about overwintering strong colonies on double brood. Obviously you can add a second box as they need it but if I’ve got this right is it specifically used as an overwintering technique. If so can you talk me through the timings theory, and what you do in spring, etc.

If they need double brood use it. You don't need to do anything else. Treat it like one box. If however you want to return to single brood the bottom box should be empty in early spring, if not, fiddling a few frames will give you empty frames in one box and just remove it. But why? If they need double brood then just leave it
E

If they need double brood use it. You don't need to do anything else. Treat it like one box. If however you want to return to single brood the bottom box should be empty in early spring, if not, fiddling a few frames will give you empty frames in one box and just remove it. But why? If they need double brood then just leave it
E

Hi - yes I appreciate all that. However I got the impression that some specially use another brood box to overwinter and I was interested in the timings, theory etc.

I just leave mine on double brood all year around. I have found that it aids in Spring build up as they are able to store more pollen during autumn.

If there filling a double box then leave them to it if they can be condensed to a single then go ahead. I run double broods as needed but love a box Jamed full of bees for winter, they are less likely to get a mouse in and I find maintain the interior better, few damp patches and hive detritus. It also depends on management style if you are hands on and can monitor top up feed then single boxes are ok also I feed well into autumn and you get to a point they just won’t take feed when the temp drops

Hi - yes I appreciate all that. However I got the impression that some specially use another brood box to overwinter and I was interested in the timings, theory etc.

I have never heard of adding a double brood just for winter if that is what you mean
E

Could you be thinking of where people say “make sure you remove the queen excluder? This is where people leave a second box of stores on top as winter food usually a super and let the bees move up. Then in spring swap it under the brood box to clear it of brood before removing it.

Hi, thanks for the replies. I’ve probably just read too much into what someone said. I’ll follow my instincts with my big hive which was split a while ago but I think they will probably need to be on double brood anyway.

If there filling a double box then leave them to it if they can be condensed to a single then go ahead. I run double broods as needed but love a box Jamed full of bees for winter, they are less likely to get a mouse in and I find maintain the interior better, few damp patches and hive detritus. It also depends on management style if you are hands on and can monitor top up feed then single boxes are ok also I feed well into autumn and you get to a point they just won’t take feed when the temp drops

:iagree:

Back