Old undrawn foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k9rml

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi I have found a load of old brood wired foundation from my late father. It was probably made in the 90s it is all wrapped up in brown paper and is still playable and not brittle, but has lost its smell is there any way of reviving it or shall I just render it down thanks

old foundation

to freshen up foundation, i usually run a hot air gun over it, you can also use the wife's hair drier, but make sure she does not see you. Ianf.

Dont warm it with the hairdryer though untill you are going to use it or it will fade again in a week or two.

I have never freshened foundations and bees have drawn all.

You may offer couple of pieces and look what happens.

to freshen up foundation, i usually run a hot air gun over it, you can also use the wife's hair drier, but make sure she does not see you. Ianf.

:yeahthat:

I have never freshened foundations and bees have drawn all.

You may offer couple of pieces and look what happens.

I can see as you have so many hives you probably dont have time to warm old foundation but surely it is good advice to tell someone with just a few hives it would be better to do this? I am only new but i found bees go onto foundation quicker if its warmed. & smells fresh. Sometimes maybe professional advice is different to what a new person with not many hives should do, the two types of beekeeper seem to do a lot of things differently, maybe due to time to do it?

i have only 50 years experience and I have used 10 y old foundations.
Perhaps reason is that I do not have hair dryer.

I have often foundations in hives over winter. Bees start to draw them next summer when they are ready to draw them. No need to "encourage".

I acquired sold old faded stuff and find it gets drawn ok. Just make sure there is a flow on or you feed them, helps a bit if you checker it with drawn, bit of faffing but melting it down is a real waste.
A swarm would welcome it.

I can see as you have so many hives you probably dont have time to warm old foundation but surely it is good advice to tell someone with just a few hives it would be better to do this? I am only new but i found bees go onto foundation quicker if its warmed. & smells fresh. Sometimes maybe professional advice is different to what a new person with not many hives should do, the two types of beekeeper seem to do a lot of things differently, maybe due to time to do it?

If bees need the wax they will use it. If they do not show an interest in old wax it is more likely they did not need to utilise it yet than the fact that is old. Supering too early for example.

The bees generate their own heat to revive the wax.

If it keeps the beekeeper happy giving it a breath of warm air from a hair dryer or heat gun so be it: it may even encourage the bees to draw it a little quicker.

Heating up the foundation with a hairdryer serves to keep the beekeeper happy.it has no other purpose whether you are a commercial or a hobbyist. Another to consign to the same bin as bees won't go up into the super if it's only clean foundation

Back