O.K. So what did Santa bring you ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely people can't have wanted to leave that badly????:D

Was once involved with taking a stowaway off a ship at anchor near Stornoway (captain would't sail until he was taken off) he was a Russian illegal immigrant who'd jumped on the ship in Cardiff as he'd had enough and wanted to go home!!

got a 6lb wood maul axe.

Ruck sack for carrying beek stuff on my cycle for next summer, means i can do swarms anywhere from where i work to home and then pick up when sunsets in my wifes car.

Was once involved with taking a stowaway off a ship at anchor near Stornoway (captain would't sail until he was taken off) he was a Russian illegal immigrant who'd jumped on the ship in Cardiff as he'd had enough and wanted to go home!!

If he prefers Russia to the UK it might be time to start looking at regime change ....... Brian May is available I think... not worthy

MAY-007.jpg

If he prefers Russia to the UK it might be time to start looking at regime change ....... Brian May is available I think... not worthy

MAY-007.jpg

We've already tried hypocrites running this country, don't need another - the only use brian may would be is as target practice

We've already tried hypocrites running this country, don't need another - the only use brian may would be is as target practice

Politician , Hypocrisy ....... no .... those words don't fit together ... but don't politicians have to take a hypocritic oath on entering office?:gnorsi:

Last edited:
This is what i got so thought id best join up here seeing as im now going to become a beekeeper. I was thinking of starting of with a top-bar hive but now im going to build a national hive in next few weeks then will hopefully get some local irish bees come april/may.

EDIT. Cant post images untill ive 10 posts :hairpull:

This is what i got so thought id best join up here seeing as im now going to become a beekeeper. I was thinking of starting of with a top-bar hive but now im going to build a national hive in next few weeks then will hopefully get some local irish bees come april/may.

Pop them on ur profile then tell people they are there and we will go look im sure.

It was just the bee keeping for dummies book. I got it bought as a pressie for xmass and will be building my own hive soon.

Welcome.

If you are intent on building your own hives have a look on Dave Cushman's web site or that of the Scottish Beekeepers Assoc as they have good plans.

I would recommend that you look to going on a beginners course - cheapest likely to be through your local association ( might even get some bees thrown in) and read plenty of books. Courses are very likely to be starting soon.

It is a fascinating and enjoyable hobby, but one with a lot of depth to it.
I ran only Nationals at first before building my own TBH, then adding a Warre. I am glad that I did it that way round, so that I had some idea about handling bees, before moving on to top bars.

Before deciding which type of hive to build, it might be better to ask local beeks which type they run, as if you keep in line with them it can have many advantages ( getting bees on suitable frame size, swapping and borrowing kit etc)

Have fun

Last edited:
Very nice Keith! (you can buy a cheap car with 12months mot and road tax up here for the price of a pair of those, though)

There are a bit on the dear side, but My wife and kids all chipped in and bought them for me. Nice santa.bee-smillie

Anyone found any good books on bees and microscopy that they'd recommend to get me on my way?
:ohthedrama:
Marsons Practical Beekeeping, Myers Microscopy on a Shoestring, Yates's Microscopy notes, and the new one from BeeCraft all are good.
Santa gave me another compound microscope, this one allows two people to look in simultaneously and has a lighter pointer to indicate things of interest.

Bag of grass nuts and a new blow torch. Creme brûlée will never be the same again!

Please reconsider the the TOPBAR hive...

Please reconsider the the TOPBAR hive...

Please don't, stick with the national hive that you have chosen. It is probably the best suited for the native bees that you are going to put in them. In a few years, after you have learned your craft, you can build yourself a top bar hive out of curiosity. You will get little honey out of them, and your bees will die a lot quicker , from problems that can be easily sort with a conventional hive. Where abouts in ireland are you living.

Please don't, stick with the national hive that you have chosen. It is probably the best suited for the native bees that you are going to put in them. In a few years, after you have learned your craft, you can build yourself a top bar hive out of curiosity. You will get little honey out of them, and your bees will die a lot quicker , from problems that can be easily sort with a conventional hive. Where abouts in ireland are you living.

One of the advantages of a forum like this is you get lots of information: some of it good and some of it downright misleading and some utterly rubbish..
The above post falls into the last two categories :facts: :)

..Before deciding which type of hive to build, it might be better to ask local beeks which type they run, as if you keep in line with them it can have many advantages ( getting bees on suitable frame size, swapping and borrowing kit etc)
:iagree:

Please don't, stick with the national hive that you have chosen... you can build yourself a top bar hive out of curiosity. You will get little honey out of them, and your bees will die a lot quicker , from problems that can be easily sort with a conventional hive...
One of the advantages of a forum like this is you get lots of information: some of it good and some of it downright misleading and some utterly rubbish...The above post falls into the last two categories
One of the first things that becomes apparent in beek'ing is that opinions will vary. One of the soundest bits of advice I received is that the best way to start is to find out what is the most common practice locally. What that practice actually is becomes less important than being able to seek help and advice based on what the people around you have found works for them. If you want to try variants or completely different hives at some point in the future, then fine. By then you have some reference points to work from and know what healthy and thriving bees actually look like. Which is, after all, your basic responsibility in taking them on.

Welcome.

If you are intent on building your own hives have a look on Dave Cushman's web site or that of the Scottish Beekeepers Assoc as they have good plans.

I would recommend that you look to going on a beginners course - cheapest likely to be through your local association ( might even get some bees thrown in) and read plenty of books. Courses are very likely to be starting soon.

It is a fascinating and enjoyable hobby, but one with a lot of depth to it.
I ran only Nationals at first before building my own TBH, then adding a Warre. I am glad that I did it that way round, so that I had some idea about handling bees, before moving on to top bars.

Before deciding which type of hive to build, it might be better to ask local beeks which type they run, as if you keep in line with them it can have many advantages ( getting bees on suitable frame size, swapping and borrowing kit etc)

Have fun

Thanks. As for doing a course, im not one for doing courses,joining associations etc.. as i just learn myself along teh way. I know sometimes it isnt the best approach but its just the way i am and its held me well throughout the years. Ill get plenty of info on the net and bokks ill be purchasing and going it alone with some help on here.

Latest posts

Back