Nuc to Hive? Or overwinter in nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
I have 2 poly nucs with 2021 queens, on size 14 x 12 frames, the nucs are nicely full, a good brood pattern and plenty of stores. I am going to start the Apiguard treatment in August, then feed in September. I am wondering whether to transfer each nuc into to a hive or overwinter in the poly nucs’s. My gut feeling is to overwinter in the poly nucs, because they may not fill the full hive or draw out the extra frames before winter.
Any advice welcome.

Pointless making a plan you need to judge on the size of the colony. Can you add drawn frames or brood from established hives. Personally many Nucs I have atm will build and winter in a single bb, but then I don’t use 14x12. If there full now no reason they shouldn’t make single bb.

I regularly overwinter colonies in 14 x 12 poly nucs ... works well for me ... you have to keep an eye on them in spring as the build up tends to be sudden and explosive ...

Play it by ear. If you put them in a full hive you can always dummy down with insulation board. I take colonies through winter in home made wooden national nucs, sited in blocks, with insulation round each group.

Latest posts

Back