Not seeing much pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taurus

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We've had a few weeks of wonderful weather and my first colony (double brood) have been going like the clappers - they've got good stores of honey around the brood and 3 supers which they are working on strongly.

I am aware of the 'June gap' - they have plenty of honey stored and they are currently working the laurel hedges bringing in nectar. However the weather has now turned wet and they aren't getting out as much.

I notice less signs of pollen being brought in and not a huge amount of pollen present in the frames.

As a newbie I have no idea if this presents a problem this time of year - and / or - if there is anything I should be doing about it?

They are in our garden surrounded by plenty of well established gardens. There are water meadows close by where they have been collecting from the hawthorns until recently. The road is lined with lime trees though only a few have flower buds present.

Hi taurus,
Mine are doing the same as yours at the moment with not a lot of pollen going in. I think they are concentrating on the nectar because of the warm weather and they still have quite a bit of pollen left in the hives. They will change tack when they need to.

Ah - thanks.

I spent a happy half hour watching them this afternoon and they're bringing a bit in, but nowhere near as much as they were a couple of weeks ago.

(It was also fascinating watching the bees beginning to emerge from the new nuc I made on Friday and making their first flights.)

Hi taurus,
Mine are doing the same as yours at the moment with not a lot of pollen going in. I think they are concentrating on the nectar because of the warm weather and they still have quite a bit of pollen left in the hives. They will change tack when they need to.

Could you not give them some pollen or pollen substitute if the weather is rubbish and the pollen stores are low with loads of brood present.

The bees are in summer mode. Spring brood is reared and stores for swarming have to be brought in. Later when they have swarmed....or you have done it for them and the colony has settled they will be preparing for autumn and will collect more pollen again.

Thanks for the reassurance. Glad there are folk on here willing to share experience. The colony was split last week so hopefully they will behave themselves re. swarming.

Latest posts

Back