No brood space

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polymorph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I had an imperfect supersedure in Aug/Sep. One of Jon Getty's queens that I put in a nuc tried to supersede a couple of times in the first month (july) and I removed the QC. Queen otherwise had a good brood pattern. End august a third time and again only one QC. I decided to leave them to it. Checking this weekend, the marked queen is gone, only sealed brood from the old queen and now a very small patch of eggs/small larvae. The problem is that in the interim the brood frames are now full of nectar and pollen from the ivy, so no laying space. Will the bees sort this out and create space or do I need to take some action.

They are on a 14x12 brood chamber on ten frames plus an undrawn foundationless frame.

Either add a box below or replace a few honey frames with drawn ones

Just pull some of the store frames and add some empty/foundation.

So simple, I’m surprised it needs to be posted.🙂
Where would be the best place to put the empty foundation . Would you recommend 1,2 or 3 frames and should they be all together or separated by honey bound frames.
Will the potential lack of young bees prevent foundation being drawn
Will scoring any capped honey encourage its use to make wax thereby increasing the potential brood space
Asking because I seam to have ended up with honey bound 14x12s but bees don’t seam interested in foundation despite reasonably warm weather

They tend to only draw readily on a flow ( natural or man made) . Have had foundation sitting in some hives for a few weeks, now being drawn on the ivy. I put it next to the brood.

Latest posts

Back