New Queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 & 6 Nucs
We have today received our new queens from Roger White - SuperBees. Looking forward to working with these bees and grafting from the 'Breeder' that we also purchased.

Exciting times...starting a new dynasty!

That's a bit of a silly response ! so no beekeepers the other side of the channel import queens ?

curious

Please don't think I'm having a pop but I'm curious as to your train of thought of these as opposed to local queens.
I know nothing about the strain but they appear to come from Cyprus if I googled correctly.

Please don't think I'm having a pop but I'm curious as to your train of thought of these as opposed to local queens.
I know nothing about the strain but they appear to come from Cyprus if I googled correctly.

Huw, I have sent you a PM.

evolution

The bottom line with this is I believe that things can always be improved. It happens naturally, its called evolution.
In that we as Keepers are maintaining/manipulating bees in an an unnatural manner, I don't see how we can criticise others for trying to improve/speed up that process.
The only footnote I would add is that I don't know if we should be importing bees from other countries, but if all the legal requirements and health checks have been completed the that sort that out.
I look forward to hearing how you get on.
Cheers
H

It is always interesting to see how many are imported

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/BeeDiseases/euImportReport.cfm
Country of origin Number of consignments imported Batched number of queens Batched number of nucleus Batched number of packages Batched number of Colonies Number of consignments inspected
Cyprus 5 91 0 0 0 1
Czech Rep 5 60 0 160 0 0
Denmark 2 3 0 0 0 0
Germany 4 27 0 0 0 0
Greece 39 2370 0 0 0 5
Italy 18 451 0 1344 0 3
Malta 2 132 0 0 0 1
Poland 1 0 0 385 0 0
Romania 4 810 0 0 0 0
Slovenia 17 1034 0 0 0 1
TOTALS: 97 4978 0 1889 0 11

It is always interesting to see how many are imported

http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/public/BeeDiseases/euImportReport.cfm
Country of origin Number of consignments imported Batched number of queens Batched number of nucleus Batched number of packages Batched number of Colonies Number of consignments inspected
Cyprus 5 91 0 0 0 1
Czech Rep 5 60 0 160 0 0
Denmark 2 3 0 0 0 0
Germany 4 27 0 0 0 0
Greece 39 2370 0 0 0 5
Italy 18 451 0 1344 0 3
Malta 2 132 0 0 0 1
Poland 1 0 0 385 0 0
Romania 4 810 0 0 0 0
Slovenia 17 1034 0 0 0 1
TOTALS: 97 4978 0 1889 0 11

Basically a net import as figures do not show numbers exported.

Would all this stop if we all voted for BREXIT... I somehow doubt it!

And these figures do not reflect the vast numbers of possible virus carrying bees illegally imported!

Nos da

I have never imported any queens or bees but I must admit I am tempted to import a couple of the Danish queens that are supposed to be resistant to nosema after the problems I have had with my bees this year. However I am still trying to breed out traits that have been inherited from another beeks bees, he was experimenting with crossing queens from loads of different places and the area was flooded with his drones.

I have never imported any queens or bees but I must admit I am tempted to import a couple of the Danish queens that are supposed to be resistant to nosema after the problems I have had with my bees this year. However I am still trying to breed out traits that have been inherited from another beeks bees, he was experimenting with crossing queens from loads of different places and the area was flooded with his drones.

Quite a few beekeepers are trying to increase the stock of our Native Cornish Black bee here in the South West Peninsular. Introgression from foreign Mediterranean types of moneybees bees and imported stocks are not helping:hairpull:

However .. each to their own!

Nos da

Been trying to figure out what a "Superbee" is? From what I can find it's what we would call "hygienic" here in the USA.

At this point I think the majority consensus among US beekeepers is that hygienic bees spend so much time grooming that they sacrifice production.

I had a girlfriend like that once, had to get rid of her.

Quite a few beekeepers are trying to increase the stock of our Native Cornish Black bee here in the South West Peninsular. Introgression from foreign Mediterranean types of moneybees bees and imported stocks are not helping:hairpull:

However .. each to their own!

Nos da
Are ye using any ii or isolated mating?

Been trying to figure out what a "Superbee" is? From what I can find it's what we would call "hygienic" here in the USA.

At this point I think the majority consensus among US beekeepers is that hygienic bees spend so much time grooming that they sacrifice production.

I had a girlfriend like that once, had to get rid of her.

AFAIK the Superbee from Cyprus is a Buckfast strain that the breeder has changed by selective breeding with other non Buckfast strains.

My understanding is that a royalty has to be paid to Buckfast Abbey whenever a queen described as Buckfast is sold. Quite sensibly breeders who may well have excellent strains of bees, but whose Buckfast provenance is perhaps tenuous, use alternate names.

Johann Tetzel, for some reason comes to mind "As the coin in the coffer rings the soul from purgatory springs".

Latest posts

Back