New MM Nucs Feeder Drowning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Just a word to the wise, bought a few MM poly nucs (new design) put some treated syrup on yesterday in top feeder, checked today all 3 nucs have drowned bees on bottom of gap between feeder entrance / syrup wall. Gap between them too big maybe?

Got a shedful of Maisie's poly nucs - no feeder casualties whatsoever

New ones or old ones,

3 nucs double line of dead bees where syrup is on every one. Threw some wood chippings in and took partitions out. If 1 out of 3 fair enough 3 out of 3 not a coincidence. Same syrup in Pains Poly top feeder odd dead bee as would expect. The difference being the gap between the walls.

If the gap is slippy plastic, legs do not get grip on it. Scrape the surface with knife or with sand paper

Last edited:
I watched an old clip of a Finish beekeeper feeding his skep hives with syrup all he used was a tin plate and a handful of straw. I have been using a similar idea on some of my bees usually when I break the lid of a rapid feeder (Simple and cheap)
I also have some Pa""s poly with the integral feeder and have lost bees in the feeder once or twice. I usually use the stick provided but occasionally some bees still manage to drown. I stop this by using straw or grass and now lose very few bees in the feeder.

Last edited:

Well your bees are either much brighter than mine, larger, happier (less suicidal) or better swimmers.

If the gap is slippy plastic, legs do not get grip on it. Scrape the surface with knife or with sand paper

Its not its poly miller type both walls are poly bees have no problem gripping, but gap between walls at bottom is about 15-20mm sloping to 30 mm at the top. I only placed a small amount in. I suspect the bees get on or pushed onto from those behind syrup and once on the gap is too big for them to climb out up either wall. The thick syrup isn't helping either.

I suspect the bees get on or pushed onto from those behind syrup and once on the gap is too big for them to climb out up either wall. The thick syrup isn't helping either.

You are right, I bet. That heavy syrup makes so in every type feeder.
Add water to it. 60% syrup should be fine.

In Honey Paw polyfeeder drinking gap is 10 mm. No casualties.

.try to add extra piece of plastic board into the gap.

Just a word to the wise, bought a few MM poly nucs (new design) put some treated syrup on yesterday in top feeder, checked today all 3 nucs have drowned bees on bottom of gap between feeder entrance / syrup wall. Gap between them too big maybe?

Had the same with a few Payxes poly nucs and found the plastic needed firming down to reduce the gap, no problems since.
S

I have some MM poly nucs for the first time this year. I was thinking of leaving dry feeders on over winter in case they need some fondant in the new year. Do you think it would work if I was to do that and if they do need fondant, remove the perspex cover and side internal walls that protect the bees from syrup, and put fondant in the feeder?

Hi Lucky Bee,
I would personally think it would be too cold as the fondant would be 'insulated' from the heat of the cluster. I would rather use the eke and put the fondant straight onto the frames.

Hi Lucky Bee,
I would personally think it would be too cold as the fondant would be 'insulated' from the heat of the cluster. I would rather use the eke and put the fondant straight onto the frames.

Thanks Beeno, much better idea.

Fondant or pollen sub on top of a sheet of grease proof on top of the top bars with crownboard flipped over to give some space works a treat. Paper gets chucked out as they eat

Fondant or pollen sub on top of a sheet of grease proof on top of the top bars with crownboard flipped over to give some space works a treat. Paper gets chucked out as they eat

No crownboard or much space in a Maisie's nuc. Personally I can't see an issue with removing the partitions on the feeder and putting some fondant in there - the roof is insulated anyways so the whole thing should be warm.

No crownboard or much space in a Maisie's nuc. Personally I can't see an issue with removing the partitions on the feeder and putting some fondant in there - the roof is insulated anyways so the whole thing should be warm.

You're right. For some daft reason I chimed in about a full size hive.

Latest posts

Back