New foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanwood

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
5 - 8
Very excited today - I've finally seen my bees for the second time :party:
They are a small nuc, donated by a generous member of this forum (Thanks Itchyhives).
They were moved into their hive a week ago, and given some new foundation.
On Friday, due to the weather, they were fed some sugar syrup. So tonight, as it was finally dry, no wind and 17 degrees, I thought I'd check how they're getting on.
So....
Spotted the queen :cool:
Spotted loads of brood :cool:
Spotted a few stores from the food I'd provided :cool:

BUT

The 3 14x12 has no drawn comb at all.
So, my big question is how on earth do I encourage the ladies to draw out the comb??

I think because of the continuing cold weather bees find it hard to bring the hive temperature up high enough for wax production.Giving some sugar syrup may help with wax production if the weather was warmer but all it would do in this situation is fill up any existing comb with stores therefore cutting down on laying space for the queen.Just make sure they have enough food to last them until this cold spell is over.

They will drawer the wax when they need it and when they are strong enough to do so.

Keep them warm dummy them down and if you can give them a slab of insulation over the crown board will help.

Fit the inspection tray and fill in the big hole at the back if it is one from thn’s

They will draw the foundations when needed for queen to lay of for storing food. Have they consumed all the feed you gave them, if yes give them some more

Keep them warm dummy them down and if you can give them a slab of insulation over the crown board will help.

Fit the inspection tray and fill in the big hole at the back if it is one from thn’s
:iagree:

Wax making needs warmth.
Sounds like you have a small colony in a big box. Not so hot!
A small box (like a poly nuc) is an ideal 'starter home' for a "small nuc". However, you've moved them into a hive, so ...

Put in the entrance reducer, have the inspection board under the floor, and put insulation in a super above the crownboard. No info about your feeder, so you may already have the super on as a "feeder eke". If so, cover the feeder with the insulation - even an old blanket, though Kingspan (or equivalent) is usually advised.
And use a dummy board to bookend the colony. If you fancy trying something novel, cover the dummy board with silver kitchen foil, so it becomes a radiant heat reflector.
And you'll have a great big hole beyond the dummy board. Fill it with insulation - but don't block the hive entrance!

A see-through crownboard is a great thing to have, and it keeps them warmer than a wooden one.

When you look at your colony, you'll probably find that at least one of its outer frames is only stores - no brood.
Put one of your foundation frames between the brood and stores. Don't use it to divide the brood! Put it next to the end of the brood. That is the best place for getting it drawn. (The brood has to be kept warm, so its the easiest site to get that little bit warmer still for wax-making, without risking the brood.)
I doubt there's any point in giving them more than two 14x12 frames of foundation at a time. That's giving them plenty of work to do. One either side of the brood frames. And give them some more once those are two thirds drawn, not before.

given the weather we've had for the last month they probably could have been left in the nuc rather than transferred to a full brood box with lots of space and work to do.

OK thanks all - They've taken a litre of sugar syrup already (3 days), so I've given another pint, and will check in a couple of days. This was fed from a rapid feeder that covers both holes in the crown board - but it looks like I still need to insulate more.

Perhaps I should have left them in the nuc until it got a little warmer:blush5:

A little update tonight...
It wasn't cold wet and horrible this evening, so I've taken a quick peek to see what they're up to. They've taken over 2 litres of sugar syrup and I have insulated them nicely.:cool: In return, I have been surprised - they've partly drawn seven or so sides of 14x12 foundation. in less than 5 days.

My other Nuc which I thought was a little slow has also started to 'take off' (Groan) this week with their own sheets of foundation being drawn, plenty of brood and stores.

Could it be summer is finally arriving ?

Back