New Beek in Stockport

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keir01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi just got my first hive of bees a few weeks ago from my friend David (Head Ranger Alderley Edge National Trust), hope my questions wont seem to lame to the more experienced on here. Bees have been going crazy today I'm guessing its ivy they have gone mad for, although i live right near river mersey so i guess its possible it could be Himalayan balsam. The vast majority of pollen is very light yellow and tons of it, with the occasional bee bringing back carrot orange pollen. Anyone know whether my guesses are possibilities or am i on the wrong track completely? Thanks in advance
Keir

Hi, welcome.

Don't know if you have joined the Stockport branch of the Cheshire BKA? Next meeting 11th October Woodford War Memorial Hall, Chester Road, Woodford, Stockport, SK7 1PS at 7.30 pm - the talk is "Ian McLean - Planning for next year, methods of swarm control etc."

I am a little bit further downstream of you, still near the Mersey.

The yellow pollen could well be Balsam, and the orange could be ivy. Either way, it's good that they are bringing it in :)

Hi just got my first hive of bees a few weeks ago from my friend David (Head Ranger Alderley Edge National Trust), hope my questions wont seem to lame to the more experienced on here. Bees have been going crazy today I'm guessing its ivy they have gone mad for, although i live right near river mersey so i guess its possible it could be Himalayan balsam. The vast majority of pollen is very light yellow and tons of it, with the occasional bee bringing back carrot orange pollen. Anyone know whether my guesses are possibilities or am i on the wrong track completely? Thanks in advance
Keir

Treated with thymol? If not its too late unless you want to risk MAQS or wait till xmas and use oxalic. At least the new foraging on ivy should generate some egg laying for winter bees.

Hi keir, late in the year for new bees so you won't be getting much hands on before spring! You are lucky, the warm weather is bringing them out for a last ditch pollen and nectar collecting spree.
Looking forward to how you get on in the spring. Please don't be too keen to be going in to them as the weather gets colder. Remember..... If it is too cold to feel comfortable in a t shirt it is too cold to be in them there bees!!

Many thanks for the warm welcome and information. Will take it on board. I am a member of SBKA so will definitely get to as many of their meetings as possible.
I'm afraid i will need all the help i can get!!:thanks:

Latest posts

Back