my first apairy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
well, some may have read my other post's about being offered an area on an allotment, had the meeting today with the treasurer, as I stated they had bee's there already, seems an allotment holding has them on his plot, a national hive that he has not done anything with in the last 3yrs!!!!, plus his planting area is fully overgrown, so they are kicking him off, bee's and all.
they then showed me an area they had in mind on the other side of the land, 6ft high fences to the back and two area's approx 8'x5' for the bee hives, so 16ft across, I explained about top bar hives rather than nationals, and they seemed very happy, all the plot holders had aggreed and wanted bee's, the place has loads of fruit tree's and bushes, the areas in front of the hives around 16ftx20ft, they will plant up like a cottage garden with bee friendly flowers, and they will pay and erect a screen as described by myself, I'll have room for 2 x 4ft top bar hives, one already made, and they will ring me when all the work is done and I can then take the first hive in and get it in postion, and collect keys to the gates, very good security although they tell me they are not troubled with vandelisim
so everything looks like its coming up trumps at the moment, I'll be making a few changes to my finished tbh, blocking the end holes and re drilling them on sides opposite to roof opening, and fitting periscope entrances
hopefully I can get some bee's in there this year if the weather gets better as promised

You lucky, lucky ba***rd. With apologies to Monty Python...

well, some may have read my other post's about being offered an area on an allotment, had the meeting today with the treasurer, as I stated they had bee's there already, seems an allotment holding has them on his plot, a national hive that he has not done anything with in the last 3yrs!!!!, plus his planting area is fully overgrown, so they are kicking him off, bee's and all.
they then showed me an area they had in mind on the other side of the land, 6ft high fences to the back and two area's approx 8'x5' for the bee hives, so 16ft across, I explained about top bar hives rather than nationals, and they seemed very happy, all the plot holders had aggreed and wanted bee's, the place has loads of fruit tree's and bushes, the areas in front of the hives around 16ftx20ft, they will plant up like a cottage garden with bee friendly flowers, and they will pay and erect a screen as described by myself, I'll have room for 2 x 4ft top bar hives, one already made, and they will ring me when all the work is done and I can then take the first hive in and get it in postion, and collect keys to the gates, very good security although they tell me they are not troubled with vandelisim
so everything looks like its coming up trumps at the moment, I'll be making a few changes to my finished tbh, blocking the end holes and re drilling them on sides opposite to roof opening, and fitting periscope entrances
hopefully I can get some bee's in there this year if the weather gets better as promised

Sounds good and exciting, however make sure you have swarm control measures in place, plot holders can quickly turn against bees, would you believe...some even suggest that they shouldn't be on allotments :rolleyes:

All the best in your venture.

Lucky you, well done!

Please come back when you're up and running to let everyone know how it's going, especially the reactions from the other plotholders. Just waiting for permission to keep bees on my plot but not holding my breath.

Despite my misgivings about out apiaries on allotments due to bitter experince, it sounds as if you have struck lucky. Wish you all the best and look forward to hearing how it all progresses. Well Done!

I would not use tbh on our allotments. Double brood nationals give more options if things go wrong. Nationals with poly crowns are also a great way to involve other allotment members, from just having a peep through the poly to helping with inspections, holding a few frames etc. We are rarely short of someboby to come and have a go.
Most important advice I can give, either give all the members your mobile number or put a waterproof note with your mobile number on it near the hives, so you can be contacted if there is a bee problem.

Good luck, do it right and you will gain a lot of friends

Andy

Great news, hope it turns out as good as it sounds!

What's one of them, then?

IMAG0314.jpg

IMAG0315.jpg

it's basically a entrance with a porch (flash gitz my bee's) it aids in defence against robbing/wasps etc, as they have to walk in, go up then enter hive,

as stated, there's already 2 x nationals there, that have not been looked after for 3yrs, therefore allotment holders know about bee's to an extent, inspections and or just viewing can all be done from outside of the hive without any need to start pulling it about, no smoke is needed either,
Ive already mentioned that I'll laminate some info for putting up around the hives, plus on the entrance notice board

my main reasons for liking top bar hives was they can be homemade from scrap, the one above took 2 days and £10 in total, although I wouldent want to see it go missing, if it did its not the end of the world, although it would need 2 people to lift over a 8ft securiry fence.
how does that compare to a double brood nationals,frames,wax,etc

Latest posts

Back