Multiple queening failures

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jengles

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Since mid-May I've had 6 hives and nucs left with queen cells or virgins, either splits or after the clipped queen was lost. Only one of them has succesfully produced a laying queen, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong!

In each case I've reduced the queen cells down to one, checked that the virgin has emerged on the day she should, and then left for three weeks before checking again and introducing a test frame with eggs and larvae.

Now I have 5 hives with old bees and queencells, and feel like I've depleted my 3 queenright hives for no reason.

Is it safe to inspect neighbouring hives when the virgin might be out on mating flights, or could that have caused them to get lost?

Is it just down to terrible luck and the weather? Would it be best to let them try again, or combine and re-expand next year?

One can likely say that it is just bad luck , a queen can make a nice snack for a passing birdy.

As to inspecting adjacent hives it may be an issue, as the VQ will orientate and use you as a land mark. If you have moved position or even gone by the time she returns it may confuse her and she could enter a wrong colony and likely certain death. Typically if one knows a VQ is in residence then she will likely go out on a nice warmer humid day so inspecting between 11am - 3pm should really be avoided this time of year.

Latest posts

Back