Minimum Temp for inspecting a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnyP

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I notice in the new BBKA magazine out today that they recommend that the temperature is above 16c before your first spring inspection.

Can this really be right? Looking at the long range forecast, we may be into May before we reach those dizzy heights.:bump:

Too many variables to put an exact temperature.
Are your bees flying
time of day
strain of bees
wind chill
how long do you intend inspecting for

First inspection should only be a quicky to confirm everything is well

I notice in the new BBKA magazine out today that they recommend that the temperature is above 16c before your first spring inspection.

Can this really be right? Looking at the long range forecast, we may be into May before we reach those dizzy heights.:bump:

Not far off there IMHO, but a bit later than now, when the colony is stronger, you could zip in a quick, not too intrusive inspection at slightly lower temperatures

Lst year it was 18 deg when I carried out my first inspection.
Was around 20th March.

16C is a right answer in the case when you pull a brood frame out from hive.

It depends what you "inspect".

When you have now there late winter and temps under 10C, only what you need to know is
1) is queen ok
2) are food stores enough.

If queen is not ok, join bees to another hive.

It is usefull to reduce the bee room to the size what bees occupy, - and set up ventilation.

Nothing is to be done now. Just wait for spring.

Am I wearing a short sleeved shirt and comfortable?

Yes? Inspect.

No? Wear a fleece and don't inspect.

I think I'm (mostly) on the same page as Finman for this one.

It all depends what you mean by "first inspection".

For the BBKA-style (full spring cleaning) First Inspection, you do want it properly warm.

But if you really NEED (as opposed to want) to take a quick look inside, pick a merely reasonable day, and if you are quick, you shouldn't do much harm at all.

According to meo weather the temp here doesn't get over 16c till June

Hi JohnyP,
Opening the hive in what temperature is as you have correctly understood a very fluid concept and varies from person to person or organisation to organisation as is evident from the latest advise from FERA or indeed dependent on the circumstances of the hive itself.
Day of Treatment for OA - on the bottle recommendation +3C, regional bee inspector recommendation not below +5C. I personally was happier at +11C and gave the ones desperately trying to get back in a little squirt too. Not a big problem.
Opening to inspect brood quickly just to see if she is laying +13C min. otherwise you will chill broad and it will die. Leisurely inspection a few degrees more.
Emergency inspection because you have reason to believe they cannot get to their stores - any temperature if latest FERA guide is anything to go by as they will be dead in a couple of days anyhow so dead brood is of no consequence. However, most of all the decision is yours and only you know the state of play when you put them to bed in the autumn. The most important point IMHO about being a beek is that you are comfortable and willing to take responsibility for the decisions you make.

dont worry about inspecting the frames just ensure the bees are near the stores or food source if not sure get some fondant right on top of the cluster and wait until the temp is about 16 or more. nothing else you can do

Thanks for all the useful replies. All points taken.:thanks:

Johny
Assuming you have open mesh floors it's worth putting the trays in for a few days and then looking at the detritus - you'll be able to see if the bees are moving across to find the stores by the pattern of cappings.
richard

Johny
Assuming you have open mesh floors it's worth putting the trays in for a few days and then looking at the detritus - you'll be able to see if the bees are moving across to find the stores by the pattern of cappings.
richard

quite often you may see there piece worker pupa and it is a sign of layin queen.
Pieces of drone pupae makes me inspect the brood frame at once. A tight cluster tells that they heat brood..

Yeah, just had an email from the NBU stating because of the extended cold weather it is advisable to have a sneaky peek at your bees. A little chilling is better than starvation.
Ideally I'd like to leave them alone but I don't want to leave it too long, I've lost one colony to Nosema this winter, hate to lose any more.

Latest posts

Back