Melting wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeKeyPlayer

From Rainham, Medway (North Kent) UK
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 plus 12 owned by others
I use a 6.5L slow cooker to reclaim wax. It is in the garden shed. I forgot about it the last time I turned it on. Much later, when I found it, the contents were black and rock hard. With a lot of effort I've been able to reclaim my slow cooker. So I can carry on as before - and will always set an alarm reminder.

But I thought I'd take the chance to ask, what other options are there for reclaiming wax? For reasons I won't bore you with, I don't want to use a solar melter or electric steamer.

I use a 6.5L slow cooker to reclaim wax. It is in the garden shed. I forgot about it the last time I turned it on. Much later, when I found it, the contents were black and rock hard. With a lot of effort I've been able to reclaim my slow cooker. So I can carry on as before - and will always set an alarm reminder.

But I thought I'd take the chance to ask, what other options are there for reclaiming wax? For reasons I won't bore you with, I don't want to use a solar melter or electric steamer.
wash thoroughly, get a large double boiler/bain marie (they are still available) and an electric hob, melt it all down - the water in the wax will help (even add a few pints) then skim the wax off and filter through a double layer of nylon stockings. All the slumgum will settle down into the water.

Latest posts

Back