MAQS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhill20

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
44ish
Hi Guys,
Do the maqs fumes corrode metal queen excluders!

In my experience, anything galvanized (runners, castellations, slotted Queen excluders) will sustain some surface corrosion to the zinc. Any exposed steel will rust. Stainless steel (grille-type) Queen excluders are OK.

... the formic having a not dissimilar effect to that (albeit less aggressively) when fumigating with acetic acid.

I'd happily pay a significant premium for stainless steel hive parts, if they were available.

That's my experience, anyway. I've used MAQS every year for the last 6 years.

Last edited:
If laying MAQS strips on Queen excluders I first put a thin film/smear of Vaseline on the bars.
I put Vaseline on the brood box frame runners as well it reduces the amount of propolis the bees stick the runners up with.

part delete MM

I'd happily pay a significant premium for stainless steel hive parts, if they were available.

That's my experience, anyway. I've used MAQS every year for the last 6 years.

i now have stainless steel runners in all my brood boxes, They have been avaiable from Thorne for several years at about £3 per pair

i now have stainless steel runners in all my brood boxes, They have been avaiable from Thorne for several years at about £3 per pair
Do yo happen to know the grade of steel they use? I find where I am anything that is not 316 tends to be corroded and pitted very quickly. Plastics work of course for a while longer.

not noticed any cooorosien so far with 2 appilication of MAQS, whereas the galv runner in the supers used with MAQS are flaking orange rust, but no idea what grade, ask them

Back