Many a slip twixt.......(Hive move)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nordicul

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All
I’m nearing the end of a long slow movement of two hives accross the garden.

There are two hives, neither very strong last years overwintered nucs, but about equal in strength.Both are (were) busy bringing in pollen and holding their own with weight.

However after a move a day or so ago which invoved a change of orientation to one another, a hive, as evidenced now by the numbers under the crown board and change in foraging from each, one has lost a lot of foragers. These seem to have taken up residence in the other hive.

I don’t belive it is ( was) robbing that changed the population but it was my bad move manipulations which caused it.

Questions:
Should I just leave them to get on with it without any further interference, and what might be the consequence of reduced foragers at this time?
Or
Should i next time I move them risk change their orientation to try to get foragers to go into the depleted hive or would this possibly create a robbing situation?

Tia.

I would leave them as they are. It is a risk but better lose one hive than both!
E

I would leave them as they are. It is a risk but better lose one hive than both!
E

Thanks Enrico for support. I will leave nature take its course and post outcome when they are finally settled into new Apiary positions.

Latest posts

Back