Lupins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nat1

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15/20
I have around 20 acres of Lupins (L.angustifolius) nearby, will I get a crop from them and would it be worth it moving them to it?

Maybe - This Australian paper has some info – but are the cutivars the same ? - guess you will just have to try it and see. https://www.agrifutures.com.au/wp-content/uploads/publications/10-124.pdf
“Information of the value of lupins as a honey plant is limited. Landridge and Goodman (1977) claimed that lupins are good honey plants with 9–19kg of honey surpluses per colony on L. angustafolius. Somerville (2001) indicated no deficiencies whatsoever in the listed essential amino acids and the overall crude protein level is highly desirable being above 25%.
Langridge and Goodman (1985) suggested that honey bees collected appreciable quantities of pollen and nectar from the lupin flower, which enabled them to build up colony populations, store surplus honey and provide some surplus pollen to the beekeeper. “

Thank you, I had read that and the fact that it suggested a crop could be harvested from them made me wonder whether anyone had tried before and what the results were.

Latest posts

Back