Lots of dead bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm assuming you have registered as you are required to by law in France?

If so you will already have the details but I have linked them here anyway..

http://pme.service-public.fr/actualites/breves/declaration-annuelle-ruches-redevient-obligatoire-2010.html?xtor=EPR-140?xtor=EPR-140

Following this you can the contact your Direction Départementale en charge de l’agriculture ou des services vétérinaires and they will visit you to have a look, take samples and make local enquiries. I doubt spraying as there really is nothing being sprayed at this time of year as far as I know.

Heat will not be a problem, my hives stand in full sun and temperatures here reach 40°C plus.

Chris

Thanks Chris my registration is in the post (I have had the hive less than 6 weeks) and not had anything back yet.
Everything has been fine since but if anything happens again I will take samples and try to get an inspection done.

There is a fairly large Chicken farm a mile from us and garden centre greenhouses half a mile but apart from normal farms that’s it.

There is a fairly large Chicken farm a mile from us

Watch out!!!!!!

I take it you know all about these and the pig factories? Serious pollution issues with them and the effluents.

Chris

Watch out!!!!!!

I take it you know all about these and the pig factories? Serious pollution issues with them and the effluents.

Chris

To be honest I don’t know much about them. The one near us doesn’t smell very often and we are above them so our water table isn’t affected.
They do plough a fair amount into the fields but I think it has to stand for some time first.

I think the problem would be if the bees were drinking from water or sludge that is toxic in one way or another including being full of chemicals either from treatments or cleaning out.

Not at all nice and you did have an extraordinary number of dead bees in your photo that would have set my alarm bells ringing.

Are there any other bee keepers in the area you could ask?

Chris

One of our freinds has had a similar case of bees dieing suddenly, first there were quite a few then they all but a few pegged it.

Poisoning is suspected and samples have already been sent and the inspectors are on their way to investigate in a few days time, we both know the local inspector who is also coming.

No other bee keepers within a five mile radious have reported or been effected, so its an isolated case.

The trouble today especially with some farmers is they are under constant pressure to make a living that they might just be tempted to use very old chemicals that they have kept aside for years.

These items would not be on any inventory if they got them before legislation came into being.

The local inspector says the equipment used by the lab where the samples were sent can detect chemical ellement in their billions which is fine, but I would recommend that sterile containers are used to elliminate any cross contamination of the samples to make a positive detection of the ellements if any.

Also I would have other contents of the hive checked to see if there are any ellements present in the pollen and most developed brood, not just the demised.

Some chemicals can have/take a little longer before having an effect on the daily workings of a colony and could have been present for many days before the die off, hence contamination of other parts and systems within the hive, an accumulation of contamination over a period, leading to the kill off levels.

What about human sewerage farms nearby, these are deadly pathogenic time bombs open to the air we breath and can be smelled for miles when they let go, my freind has one not more than 300 yards from his garden, where his home colony has also been effected.

There are so many man made obstacles today against our wild life which the most delicate of are our first and one of the best early warning signs.

Like in many of these cases where no ellements/compounds have been detected, no so called N,oids nothing, making detection of the reasons very difficult.

I would also opt for multiple lab test results to cross reference the data just to be sure of complacency and inconclusive results through other cross contamination,,,, in this current downturn I have little faith in a system which is in part and parcel by design failing itself and us and the bees.

And to not wanting to be A-pollitical,,,, In this day and age huge corporations like M******o, who make all the chemicals and billions designing and selling these poisons to the general public could easily afford the resorces to iron out most if not all of these finger pointing problems, yet turn a blind eye to proceedings, in favour of vested frankenfood and interest comes to mind.

If you hav'nt yet seen it, seek out a film by biodynamics expert, Mike Porter of NewZealand called,

One Man One Cow One Planet.

La Vita Bella.

If it is not too late look at the dead bees, are they older foragers with shiny backs? If the bulk are then that might point to spraying.

If it is not too late look at the dead bees, are they older foragers with shiny backs? If the bulk are then that might point to spraying.

Unfortunately I didn’t keep any of the dead bees as it rained after I found them so can’t get tests done now. I haven’t see any dead in any numbers since and they are out in force foraging today and the Q was present on Monday so touch wood everything is OK but I will take plenty of samples if I see any more.

No sewage plants within flying distance as we are in the country.
I know there are other local French bee keepers not far from here and one commercial beekeeper with hives spread around the area (not sure exactly where) I will try to find out if they have had any problems.

Chris I do remember reading about that near the coast last year didn't sound good.

Thanks again to everyone not worthy

Has there been any spraying in the area?
or have you got a neighbour who might have got a bit over active with a wasp killer spray when they collected in his garden?

or have you got a neighbour who might have got a bit over active with a wasp killer spray when they collected in his garden?

Hi we have one neighbour about 150m from us but nithing in the other for about a km. I didn't see any farmers spraying and haven’t seen any burnet off grass etc from weed killers.

Where the bee's whole? if they were headless....yuk......it could have been a Japanese Hornet attack? I think you have them now in France?

No we don't have Japanese Hornets in France, we have Asian Hornets but they don't do that, they simply nick bees from in front of the hive and take them away to feed their larvae.

http://www.planetepassion.eu/WILDLIFE-IN-FRANCE/Asian-Hornet_Vespa-velutina-nigrithorax_Frelon%20asiatique_France.html

One more thought has arisen in my tiny mind, it's possible that someone has sprayed a colony in a house, (happens a lot here), and then the bees that robbed it could have been poisoned - always a worry.

Chris

No we don't have Japanese Hornets in France, we have Asian Hornets but they don't do that, they simply nick bees from in front of the hive and take them away to feed their larvae.

http://www.planetepassion.eu/WILDLIFE-IN-FRANCE/Asian-Hornet_Vespa-velutina-nigrithorax_Frelon%20asiatique_France.html

One more thought has arisen in my tiny mind, it's possible that someone has sprayed a colony in a house, (happens a lot here), and then the bees that robbed it could have been poisoned - always a worry.

Chris

Bees all intact. Not seen an Asian Hornet here but plenty of the more docile European ones.

Yeah that had occurred to me Chris after reading other posts but I remember when we moved here somebody told us there was a local bee keeper that would collect any bees if we ever had a problem so hopefully the locals also know.
I know a French man in the commune that knows everything and everybody (think there is one in every village) so I will ask him about other bee keepers.

I know a French man in the commune that knows everything and everybody (think there is one in every village)

Bavard comme une pie.;)

Anyway, if things have settled down and the colony is behaving well it's hopefully just a hiccup and not something that will repeat itself, although I would definitely make some polite enquiries locally - remembering that nearly everyone has a grudge against someone else.

Chris

Latest posts

Back