Looking for mentor in NW Leicestershire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives and 4 nucs
I am a newbie beekeeper who started up this year with a single nuc. This showed signs of swarming in May so I did an AS. It swarmed anyway. I caught the swarm and meanwhile got another nuc. In the space of a few weeks I went from one to three colonies and I am feeling a little overwhelmed to tell the truth.

The original colony which swarmed and i caught formed two new queens, but 4 weeks on there is no sign of either so I think the colony is queenless. The AS product is fine and has a laying queen. The new nuc has now swarmed after just 3 weeks in my hive, despite having tons of room and I'm feeding them.

Feel like I am doing something wrong, but am aware that others are having lots of swarming issues this spring.

Any advice very welcome and ideally a visit from someone who knows what they are doing.

And sorry if this might be in the wrong section- I'm new here so bear with me.

Your thread has got a bit buried in amongst other new stuff, bumping it might prompt somebody nearby to offer some local advice.

Here's your other post,

Looks like this thread may be a bit old and stale. I am a newbie in Kegworth, suffering from swarm chaos. Can anyone advise locally?

If you aren't already a member of your local association, then you should join. You may get offered a mentor.

Also, if you haven't already done so, please register your apiary on Beebase for local update on disease. http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/

Thanks.
I am registered with Beebase and being close to East Midlands Airport have already had contact with the inspectorate looking for exotic pests.

Back