Late season queen cells!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

echidna 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I had the same discovery in one of mine last week. I assumed that the bees thought she wasn't a good enough queen to make it through winter and needed to be superceded. She was a new queen this year and had never had a good brood pattern so I had wondered if she hadn't mated well. I couldn't imagine a new queen getting mated with so few drones around and cool temperatures in Yorkshire, so I removed the queen (luckily I did find her without too much trouble), and queen cells (shook off frames to see as well as poss), and united with another colony.
LeaBees - I sympathise with what you say about "this wasn't in the book". I've had a lot of that in my 3 years. The thing I've found most difficult is weighing up the pros and cons of different actions when for one reason or another I can't just follow "if this, do that" type guidance.

Last edited:

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
echidna,

I couldn't imagine a new queen getting mated with so few drones around and cool temperatures in Yorkshire, …

Let’s think about this sensibly. Temperatures may be difficult, but exaclty (or even just approximately) how many drones are needed?

Drone congregation areas are where they are for several reasons. One is temperature - I’ll leave you to think of others.

I think you need to think about what, why and how things may be happening in the bees’ world.

LeaBees 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The QCs may be sealed and viable but may also be dud, or vacated and re-sealed some time ago. Take one out and see what you find; it's easily warm enough to open colonies.
Briefly popped into broodbox at the weekend (was like a summers day) to check one of the cells but didn't get a chance to remove one... Saw a couple that had sides being chewed away and clearly had workers still stuck in head 1st, and saw a couple more with the classic open hinged top so I ceased and shut everything up. Still inconclusive what is going on in there..

Fingers still crossed..

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Briefly popped into broodbox at the weekend (was like a summers day) to check one of the cells but didn't get a chance to remove one... Saw a couple that had sides being chewed away Still inconclusive what is going on in there..

Fingers still crossed..
Queen cells, where side was chewed away. There is a virgin, which will not mate any more. Too cold weathers.

Latest posts