Keiler plastic frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used them and still do, but only one per box nearest the entrance. I found the comb often broke on the top bar as it was joined at the sides or bottom. But when I switched to the plastic frames it's obvious they have beespace plus some above the frame. This gets packed with honey making handling them and subsequently any queens a sticky mess.
Now I just use the first one because once it's out you can see and deal with any brace comb on the top bars. I'm running 50 of them this year and quite happy with them set up like this.

One other minor criticism is that you can't use them in kieler extension boxes as the frame sides are too deep( you could trim a little I suppose)

Do you use Kieler mini-nucs? I don't think they're as common here as Apidea/etc that have straight/verical sides

I've got some Kielers I bought a few years ago. They came without frames. I made some wooden top bars but I struggle to get the foundation strips to stay stuck on - either it falls off before the bees have drawn it or the drawn wax can come away from the top bar, particularly if it's heavy with stores, when I inspect. At ~ 50p each I thought the plastic ones may be worth a try.

I was thinking of ordering some of the supers too to try over-wintering - €7.80 inc VAT each.

Last edited:
...I made some wooden top bars but I struggle to get the foundation strips to stay stuck on ...

Do your Kieler top bars have a groove in the middle? And how do you fix the foundation strips?

The wooden ones that come with Kielers have a groove in the middle. I fix the strips (or tongue depressors) in the groove with molten wax that I paint on the joint. So far, it’s worked for me - but I haven’t used them enough to be definite about this.

Do your Kieler top bars have a groove in the middle? And how do you fix the foundation strips?

The wooden ones that come with Kielers have a groove in the middle. I fix the strips (or tongue depressors) in the groove with molten wax that I paint on the joint. So far, it’s worked for me - but I haven’t used them enough to be definite about this.

I have two Kielers: use them every year.
Have the wooden frames with groove.. Made some of my own frames as well..
I melt wax in a silver table spoon , position the wax foundation in the groove and pur wax along the groove..(not too much or too hot or it will melt the foundation..

The spoon's sides have been squeezed in a vice so the pouring end has a V shaped groove which makes directing hot wax much easier - and safer..

Why a silver spoon? No gold ones free at the time.....

OK thanks all. I'll have another go at fixing the foundation strips. I needed some more frames + foundation (run out of the ones I bought in the winter sales) so ordered a few of the Kieler plastic frames to try from maisies at the same time.

As Madge suggests, just use tongue depressors/lolly sticks ... and fit them in permanently with wood glue.

Those plastic frames are interesting, I'd not seen them before.

As Madge suggests, just use tongue depressors/lolly sticks ... and fit them in permanently with wood glue.

Those plastic frames are interesting, I'd not seen them before.

I'll try that too - thanks.

Latest posts

Back