Kamikaze bees??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Has anyone else got suicidal bees? It has been chucking it down all night and all day here - but suddenly my landing board is full of dead/dying bees...

I thought it was the undertakers using a grotty day to do the housekeeping BUT watched and perfectly 'healthy looking' bees came out and tried to take off, but because of water on the landing board they stuck and when I checked they had given up!

I stood watching for 1-2 minutes - in the pouring rain and 20-30 bees came out en masse, and were quite angry. I hadn't touched the hive or anything. I quickly retreated indoors only to think...'why do I hear a bee?' and there was one stinging the back of my trouser leg...

Any suggestions?

I stood watching for 1-2 minutes - in the pouring rain and 20-30 bees came out en masse, and were quite angry. I hadn't touched the hive or anything. I quickly retreated indoors only to think...'why do I hear a bee?' and there was one stinging the back of my trouser leg...

Any suggestions?

Next time blow direct inside the entrance. So you need to be there only 5 seconds.

1-2-3-4-GO!

Thanks all...I think!!! They have lots of stores (including an untouched super) and have been flying well for weeks - which is why the suicidal tendencies seemed a bit odd!

:) I'm not an Olympic sprinter Finman...I wish I was though :)

Back