Is this a way forward?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugsInABox

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
My favourite queen (I just like her!) brood is starting to look a bit spotty - she was a mid summer supersedure after a walk away split last year. I think they may have tried to supersede her again this early spring but I tore the cell down (naively and immediately regretted it).
I want a daughter from her. Resource wise I have
  • her current host coloney (which was the very small queen right half of this year’s walkway split) it’s growing adequately but slowly and has the somewhat patchy brood I mentioned
  • The other half of the walkway - which is rapidly turning into a wonderful monster having jumped from 6 faces of brood to 20+ in a week (this even after I boosted both the swarm and their mother colony with a comb each) and I want to keep this for production. (Have already had 20 jars of spring ? OSR honey)
  • and the swarm I hived 2 weeks ago.
Box wise I have
  • the other half of the tbh the swarm is in - but they are expanding pretty quickly and are 3/4’s of the way to filling their half already
  • and an eBay apidea (with super and top feeder) I’m yet to play with.

My plan:
Put queeny into the apidea with some of her own crew. Let the left behinds raise a QC then when sealed swap it into the apidea and pop HM back into her original home - carefully under an introduction cage probably
Would this work?
My apidea is naked with no drawn comb. Could I subsidise queeny’s away crew with some bees from the swarm somehow - they are still drawing comb for England! Maybe put them in the apidea super and do a newspaper combine?
Thanks advance for any thoughts?
Neil

If you’ve got a decent queen that you wish to keep/rear from simply make up a small nuc from her existing hive, don’t bother trying to add other bees they may just as likely do away with her. Apideas are simply for mating queens put a queen in full lay in and they are likely to abscond given half a chance use a normal nuc!

My 2018 Q for second or third time is again in a nuc as the main hive produced a couple of beaut QC's, this time in the nuc the bees have produced one SS cell so finally her fertility is running low. I have 4 queens all related to her and two more that should have emerged today.

Latest posts

Back