Interesting SBKA webinar next week - Honey fraud

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
A hot topic amongs us all at the moment, this looks like an interesting webinat for next week

HONEY FRAUD TALK
Our next online talk takes place on Wednesday, 6th of January at 7.30pm and we'll be investigating Honey Fraud courtesy of Professor Norberto Garcia, from Argentina. To register please visit
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1037274183087414286
Prof. García teaches Apiculture at the Universidad Nacional Del Sur in Bahía Blanca, Argentina. He is a former professional beekeeper and private technical consultant to beekeepers in Argentina. At present he is a Senior Consultant of Nexco S.A., the main Argentine honey exporter; President of the International Honey Exporters Organization (IHEO); President of the Apimondia Scientific Commission of Beekeeping Economy; Member of the Board of Directors of True Source Honey (U.S.A); and Chairman of the Apimondia Working Group on Adulteration of Bee Products. Prof. García has worked intensely during recent years to create awareness on the problem of honey adulteration.

A hot topic amongs us all at the moment, this looks like an interesting webinat for next week

HONEY FRAUD TALK
Our next online talk takes place on Wednesday, 6th of January at 7.30pm and we'll be investigating Honey Fraud courtesy of Professor Norberto Garcia, from Argentina. To register please visit
https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1037274183087414286
Prof. García teaches Apiculture at the Universidad Nacional Del Sur in Bahía Blanca, Argentina. He is a former professional beekeeper and private technical consultant to beekeepers in Argentina. At present he is a Senior Consultant of Nexco S.A., the main Argentine honey exporter; President of the International Honey Exporters Organization (IHEO); President of the Apimondia Scientific Commission of Beekeeping Economy; Member of the Board of Directors of True Source Honey (U.S.A); and Chairman of the Apimondia Working Group on Adulteration of Bee Products. Prof. García has worked intensely during recent years to create awareness on the problem of honey adulteration.
Well, I have to comment about the True Source Certified entity. They supposedly certify the honey sold under their icon to be what they say it is. They supposedly can track the honey from point of sale, back through the supply chain to the producer. I have a jar of TSS honey here in my hand. Bought at the local Price Chopper grocery store. Raw Clover honey. Product of US and Canada. Trouble is, it's pure Canola...OSR honey. Only time this honey has come anywhere near clover was when they transported the drums of canola to the packer. So if this one jar of TSS clover isn't, just why is it we should believe any other honey with the TSS icon on the label? Bogus.

And there's a mead maker in my town. Our local newspaper came out with an article about him and his business. He uses the TSS icon on his mead labels. Article says he's using 9,400 pounds of TSS, New Hampshire, Wildflower honey per month. Whoa that's a lot of honey...near half a million pounds a year. Trouble is, the state of New Hampshire doesn't produce anywhere near that amount. I'd be surprised if they produced a quarter of that.

The mead maker bought 4 drums of honey from me last May. Took him 3 months to pay me. In return for the drums I sold him, he gave me 4 empty drums in return. This honey was from a major honey packer from the State of New Hampshire...subsidiary of Dutch Gold an ever bigger packer. All using the TSS icon. "Bakers Grade" honey! Product of USA, Vietnam, India, and Argentina. Called TSS New Hampshire Wildflower honey...yeah right. And just who is on the Board of Directors? The ten largest honey packers in the US and Canada. And why?? Because they can add some sort of credibility to their rubbish honey...and what's the price of this crap? $1.42 a pound for a 60 pound pail. I wonder how low the price goes when you buy 9,400 pounds a week? Maybe approaching the $0.50 a pound cost of imported Vietnam and India honey...at the US port of entry.

Sounds like your Boy Prof Garcia is in the same group....those only interested in the bottom line and usurping the trade of quality, pure, domestically honey. I'm sure he's working so hard on fixing the bogus honey trade.

Sorry for the rant but this TSS rubbish is taking our customers and threatening to put us out of business.

Well, I have to comment about the True Source Certified entity. They supposedly certify the honey sold under their icon to be what they say it is. They supposedly can track the honey from point of sale, back through the supply chain to the producer. I have a jar of TSS honey here in my hand. Bought at the local Price Chopper grocery store. Raw Clover honey. Product of US and Canada. Trouble is, it's pure Canola...OSR honey. Only time this honey has come anywhere near clover was when they transported the drums of canola to the packer. So if this one jar of TSS clover isn't, just why is it we should believe any other honey with the TSS icon on the label? Bogus.

And there's a mead maker in my town. Our local newspaper came out with an article about him and his business. He uses the TSS icon on his mead labels. Article says he's using 9,400 pounds of TSS, New Hampshire, Wildflower honey per month. Whoa that's a lot of honey...near half a million pounds a year. Trouble is, the state of New Hampshire doesn't produce anywhere near that amount. I'd be surprised if they produced a quarter of that.

The mead maker bought 4 drums of honey from me last May. Took him 3 months to pay me. In return for the drums I sold him, he gave me 4 empty drums in return. This honey was from a major honey packer from the State of New Hampshire...subsidiary of Dutch Gold an ever bigger packer. All using the TSS icon. "Bakers Grade" honey! Product of USA, Vietnam, India, and Argentina. Called TSS New Hampshire Wildflower honey...yeah right. And just who is on the Board of Directors? The ten largest honey packers in the US and Canada. And why?? Because they can add some sort of credibility to their rubbish honey...and what's the price of this crap? $1.42 a pound for a 60 pound pail. I wonder how low the price goes when you buy 9,400 pounds a week? Maybe approaching the $0.50 a pound cost of imported Vietnam and India honey...at the US port of entry.

Sounds like your Boy Prof Garcia is in the same group....those only interested in the bottom line and usurping the trade of quality, pure, domestically honey. I'm sure he's working so hard on fixing the bogus honey trade.

Sorry for the rant but this TSS rubbish is taking our customers and threatening to put us out of business.
The Red tractor symbol ( still in use ) was compromised a couple of years ago !

Latest posts

Back