interested in beekeeping and need help please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all, im Michael and ive been interested in beekeeping for a while and have never had anywhere to put a beehive. I live in South Kirkby Pontefract West Yorkshire. Ive got a great oppertunity from a land owner who will let me put beehives on some land they have. So now i need some help please. I would love to do a local introductory course of some sort to get the ball rolling and see where it leads. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

I think Barnsley bee keepers will be your closest association. google will probably throw up a contact. Certainly getting some guidance and possibly a mentor is a good idea.
Good luck

Just had a look and there is a Wakefield and Pontefract beekeepers association. They should be a good start.

Last edited:
Associations will run intro courses over the winter.

However NOW is the time to experience bees swirling all around you ...

The association should have some suits to lend to visitors/guests/possibles.

Get involved, get hands on - even if it makes no sense at all - so you can see whether you enjoy the reality of it.
Do that before spending ANYTHING.
Then learn up and tool up (in that order) during the Winter, so that you can be ready for your own bees in late Spring next year.

Its not a hobby or an interest - its a dangerous obsession. But I can control it. Yeah, really. I can. Really.

Welcome

Most local bee keepers associations meet up every month in the summer and go to a 'hive opening' at one of their apiaries. Take a look at where the local group is for you and ask if you can go along.

Hi Michael. We're from Kirkby although we live in Shafton if you fancy a chat :)

:welcome:
itma's advice is spot on.
Spend not a penny until you KNOW you and bees will love each other dearly till death do you part..(it's addictive)

Thank you everybody what have replied. Itma i think you are right i need to be involved up close before jumping in both feet first. Yes it would be next spring/ summer when i want to try my own hive. I am looking at Barnsley and wakefield associations and need to join one of these for my best chance at success. Once again thank you.

Its not a hobby or an interest - its a dangerous obsession. But I can control it. Yeah, really. I can. Really.

HOW? Please tell me, I've tried the tablets, the withdrawal system (over winter), the lock-box (for the credit card), the too many stings method, the every Q being Q- and I am still addicted...Please, I need all the help I can get!! :D

Latest posts

Back