insulation covers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the point is that top insulation (definitely without matchsticks) reduces condensation above the cluster rather than total heat loss. there will still be significant heat loss through the walls BUT the bees will be drier.

One would have to be a bit of a fresh air fiend to believe this would be a disadvantage.

The only real dispute is whether its worth the time and cost.
Little cost, little time, beneficial but unquantified - a no-brainer for a hobbyist like me.

An interesting question. I've not seen any definitive 'side by side' studies on survival alone, anyone else? Looking at a longer list of criteria, spring build up and eventual honey yield are also potential measures of how successful variations are.

Without wanting to start a poly vs wood debate, there are numbers that suggest larger commercial operators get higher yields out of poly hives, such as the ITLD posting on this thread. The numbers are going to be specific to the circumstances at the time on migratory heather crops but there's a fair amount of evidence that colonies in open mesh floor polys have as good or higher honey yields than those in solid wooden floors. For net survival rates, the efficiency of stores use is going to be one factor, but disease rates in different hive set ups and other factors we can only guess at could be important too.

Whatever numbers you choose to measure, how close is a wooden hive with open OMF and top insulation to a full poly outfit? Or is it basically still acting like a wooden box? Any study with a large sample size would have to use 'off the shelf' hives to be reproducible. With so many detail variants of what and how insulation is applied it's unlikely that there will ever be clear answers for after sale modifications. If we're looking for results that could be relevant to the typical beekeeper on this forum* perhaps a poll is in order. The questions might need some thought and the timing should probably be after winter losses are assessed.

* Typical might not be the best term given that we're covering everything from one of the largest operators in the UK to the beginner with a single nuc.

The thermal conductance of each hive configuration is a measurable fixed quantity. The thermal conductance determines the temperature difference from the inside of hive to the outside of the hive is for a given amount of bee heat.

I will be measuring the thermal conductance of various hive/nest configurations and presenting this at our local BKA next month.
these will include:

• A thermal model of a tree nest based on the average dimensions of Seeley and Morse 1975
  • A std wooden hive (nat) OMF as bought from th ....
  • A std poly hive(nat) (MB) OMF
  • A radical thermal design (guess who)
And a number of other common beekeeper tweaks to their hives the exact variations will depend on the time available.
hopefully
  • open topvent
  • 1" foam insulation
  • 2 matchsticks
  • solid floor

Last edited:
I agree with Marks I thought the answer to a perfectly straight question was rude and sarcastic,people need help not "Attitude" they may not have searched all the forum, they may not know how? My Gran used to tell me if you are going to say something make sure it is BOTH True and kind, if not don't say it !!!

Didn't brother Adam try a trial with a set of hives, insulated and not insulated? And if I'm right (which I may not be) that the insulation didn't make any difference.

Back