Instant/effortless Swarm collection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A friend who knows I keep bees called me to a swarm. It was a fairly small swarm on the ground a couple of miles away. As I arrived I suspected that they were on the floor due to a lost/dead queen. This is something I have seen before. At the time I ended up using brood to lure them into my box.

The interesting thing is, this time, as soon as I put the box down, before I had time to put my suit on, the march began into the box in which I had previously dropped some "swarm lure" into as a bait box, perhaps a week earlier.

Watch the magic here

Last edited:
IS there a queen?
If there isn’t it’s nice to know they’re safely tucked away with another

Chances are good there’s a Virgin in there.

There was no queen. I gave them a frame with eggs with which to raise a new queen which they did.

I had a much smaller one that I collected from a three storey car park that did just that. They did have a queen though.

A friend who knows I keep bees called me to a swarm. It was a fairly small swarm on the ground a couple of miles away. As I arrived I suspected that they were on the floor due to a lost/dead queen. This is something I have seen before. At the time I ended up using brood to lure them into my box.

The interesting thing is, this time, as soon as I put the box down, before I had time to put my suit on, the march began into the box in which I had previously dropped some "swarm lure" into as a bait box, perhaps a week earlier.

Watch the magic here

No video I'm afraid but I've had two incoming this year that have moved themselves into brood boxes in the process of being cleaned up. First into a 14 x 12 Abelo poly with clean frames sitting in a barrow with crownboard slightly askew that provided entry. The second a couple of weeks later into a 14 x 12 plywood hive that as emergency accommodation had housed a swarm last year. I had united that colony with another in the autumn. The box was basically falling apart and I intended to remove the frames for rendering down. When I went to it to start I found it was crammed with bees and although I didn't find a queen she had laid up half the frames.
I screwed and patched things together and swapped that colony for a set of frames and foundation.

what "swarm lure" was used? thanks

Back