In search of bread worthy of my honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As we approach the New Year 2013 in a few hours time, I have to ask this question:

Chris, is the bread machine still in regular use and did you find the balance that you were looking for. I have a hankering for making up sourdough and giving that a bit of a go in the New Year. :)

It certainly seems to be fairly self sustaining. I most definitely will give it a try.

I'm thinking of taking my starter yeast from a honey fed yeast, although I doubt that would give it a lot of character, anymore like eating carrots makes one person different to another that eats brussels sprouts. Bad analogy perhaps :)

Its all down to individual taste . Modern bakery's don't use yeast conditioner they use flour conditioners. They use high speed mixers for speed not to put air into the dough. Morrisons wont use high speed mixers. Having worked in all sorts of bakerys over the past 20 years ( supermarkets and artisan) It is my opinion that you cannot beat your favourite type of bread made by your own hands and baked in your kitchen in your own oven. Its a bit like your favourite type of honey from your bees. Find your favourite type of bread find several recipes. bake them tweak them and pick your favourite then play around some more till you have perfected it. Im using spelt flours from several millers and the difference in the end product just by using differnt flour is amazing.

The best bread is from the Algarve! Baked daily and is only good for the day you buy it!
Don't get me started on the orange blossom honey from here!
Sorry this doesn't help much unless ur in the Algarve!

Ah memories. Albufeira supermarket near the bullring. Standing there waiting for the bread to come out of the oven.

Simple bread made very quicly requiring no yeast or proving:

From the old Be-Ro book.

Milk Fadge.

Chris, is the bread machine still in regular use and did you find the balance that you were looking for.

Yes it's still in regular use.
Settled on a flour mix that was about 75% strong white and the rest spelt and rye mix. I definitely like it better than a shop loaf but I reckon I can still improve. I also tried beer in the bread instead of water but I couldn't tell the difference which was a surprise.

I also tried beer in the bread instead of water but I couldn't tell the difference which was a surprise.

Try using spent beer yeast, if you brew your own. It makes an interesting and tasty loaf.

My son's friend's father is a professional baker and reccomends prooving for longer but in a cool environment, but I have not tried it myself yet though.

Ha ha, is that the order for next weekend doubled then Chris?

Best bread I've ever tasted was a loaf I bought from a small baker just outside of Limerick - multi-grain stuff - moist, very yummy. Never had bread like that, before or since.

LJ

Latest posts

Back