Improved coleslaw ...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little John

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
50+
Here's one for those of a culinary bent:

I like coleslaw, but by the gods it can be boring stuff to munch through. Yesterday I spotted some Jalapeno coleslaw on the almost out-of-date rack at Tesco's for just a few pence, and thought I'd be adventurous.

Jeez- this stuff nearly took the top of my head off - it must be loaded with chillis - but when added to common-or-garden coleslaw as a 1:4 mix, it results in quite an improvement.

So there you go - I guess you could try adding curry powder, maybe even ground nutmeg - there are plenty of herbs and spices one could experiment with.

LJ

A Swedish speciality... with horse raddish

Used to make it when I worked in a Stockholm deli!

Another was with caraway seeds.

My mother-in-law adds sultanas in hers....:puke:

I have to pick them all out.

I eat mine with G&T.

G&T improves ALL food.

Even horse tastes like beef...bee-smillie:beatdeadhorse5:

There's only one thing wrong with coleslaw...
....CABBAGE!
:ack2:

Thanks - yes - fennel and sultanas sounds good, I'll try those as well.

LJ

coleslaw (and potato salad) are really ever so easy and cheap to make.Ideally, you'll have a 'mandolin' to make the job easier. The basics are white cabbage, carrot and onion.I personally love onions so use more onions. I make it with apples if It's to go with pork. You can add nuts, sesame seeds, celery, chilli powder, curry powder. Let your imagination go wild. Use half an half salad cream/mayo for a nice creamy taste. It'll cost around £1 to make a huge pyrex dish full of the stuff. Potato salad is as easy. Boil some boiling spuds after you have diced or sliced them. Picasso/nadine/wilja (all firm waxy fleshed spuds). Boil until they are just soft. Then with your mandolin, chop some onions to taste. Mix half and half mayo/salad cream until the spuds and onion are all well mixed and covered. You can add parsley if required, and in Germany, they also add bits of ham. Both potato salad and coleslaw that I make are very popular at barbeques so I get asked to a lot lol.You could also add chopped 'bockwurst' (like frankfurters) to the potato salad.

Latest posts

Back