imperial threads

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very true words oliver but. when you consider there is only four imperial countries in the whole world and the only one of any small interest is USA colonies the other two are in Africa. the funniest thing is that almost all parts of the American colonies are forced to use and except metric dimensions

it really gets on my wick this imperial lark. the basics and the beginnings are fantastic whitworth was a genius and so was the ideas, but there is sooooooo many different sorts.
feet and inches in fractions i can just about understand but when someone starts to use decimal points and thous i am completley lost

i had to use all three of my thread gauges and micrometer to measure the flipping things. went through all my charts the Zeus had to be found out, the engineering books all got raided and because someone decided to keep going with 3/8 BSF

rather than saying in 1969, FORTY TWO YEARS ago,

" tell you what lads i just brought some M8 taps and dies, we will use them from now on":beatdeadhorse5::beatdeadhorse5:

as for the ten pound note. theres a pair of taps on flea bay taper and bottom at £3 at the moment and the die cost me £6 second hand again to. for the amount of times they are going to get used the second hand quality pair will do for me.

but saying that i did find a load of old tent poles today at the allotment that would be good for rod rests

Yes, and many are still buying their green-groceries from the market in pounds and ounces. Miles per gallon will be slow to disappear until distance changes to kilometres.

Many youngsters know their weight in stones and pounds and their height in feet and inches, but learn in metric at school - go figure! Some are even unable to convert those measurments into metric equivalents.

RAB

Latest posts

Back