Hundreds of bees outside the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lapdogsx5

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just been down to my girls only to find one of my hives has hundreds of bees outside the hive should i be worried ?or is there anything i should be doing ?It`s just a brood box with no super.

lapdog

sorry to be flippant but am presuming that normal inspections are uptodate etc etc. is that hive stronger than others or facing the evening sun? do the others have supers on still????

Just incase i didn`t explain myself enough,i don`t meen ther flying there all clinging to the hive.

sorry to be flippant but am presuming that normal inspections are uptodate etc etc. is that hive stronger than others or facing the evening sun? do the others have supers on still????

Yes we inspect every week ,on the last inspection it had 6 frames of brood,no it`s not facing the evening sun but it is warm hear the tem in the car on the way back said 24.

Sorry forgot to say only 2 of my other hives out of 5 have supers on.

I think you will find that they are fine. Often when a big group is clustered outside, you will see other fannnig at the entrance so they may be trying to keep the temperature down inside the hive by going outside.

My girls have a porch and tend to cluster outside the hive in the porch area but yours may be on the hive wall because they lack a place to sit outside?:eek:

Have you any varroa treatment in the hive?

When Apiguard or any other thymol treatment is on a warm day will bring a lot of bees out for a breath of fresh air:D

Have you any varroa treatment in the hive?

When Apiguard or any other thymol treatment is on a warm day will bring a lot of bees out for a breath of fresh air:D

Yes put it on last weekend,bless you all feel so much better now.not worthy:hurray:

Back