How to make a queen cell protector cup.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to get your timing bang on and make sure larvae are the same age when grafting if you don't want any disasters ;). bit of foil/ insulating tape is cheap insurance :)

VM

Hi

When you are grafting do you use the cut off syringe/scone cutter method or handle the eggs directly?

"When you are grafting do you use the cut off syringe/scone cutter method or handle the eggs directly?"

Never heard of using a syringe/scone cutter.

When I graft I lift very young larvae from the doner colony into queen cups I make from wax. That is the normal definition of grafting, it does not involve eggs.

PH

Hi Aps

Grafting is usually lifting one day old larvae off their bed of royal jelly on a special tool, or on the bitten end of a wooden cocktail stick or grass stem. Eggs are stuck down so not easily lifted but instead eggs can be cut or punched out.

G.

I try for 12 hours old larvae, but with the eyes now I am finding it harder.

PH

Apprentices,

Your creativeness and enthusiasm are a never ending source of interest on this forum, but...

I read every post you make just to see that brilliant Avatar, it make me smile every time I see it!

"When you are grafting do you use the cut off syringe/scone cutter method or handle the eggs directly?"

Never heard of using a syringe/scone cutter.

When I graft I lift very young larvae from the doner colony into queen cups I make from wax. That is the normal definition of grafting, it does not involve eggs.

PH

The scone cutter method my mentor uses involves a 5.00ml syringe with the end cut off, he pulls back the plunger, pushes the tube over the cell and cuts out a small plug of wax containing cell and grub, sorry larvae, then gently pushes it out into the cup, without disturbing the larvae.

I would describe that as more like the punched cell method......it's not grafting.

Described in detail on Dave Cushmans site under punched cell....some use a rifle shell.

Apprentices,

Your creativeness and enthusiasm are a never ending source of interest on this forum, but...

I read every post you make just to see that brilliant Avatar, it make me smile every time I see it!

Cheers

As you can tell I'm still fairly new to this game but learning very quickly, sometimes a bit too quick and get my wording mixed up, eggs, grub and larvae, heh.

The avatar was borrowed from the W's3 from another, I really like it too, it reminds me of that song, Walk tall walk straight and look the world, you know the one.

Most of all I love making things and intend to share every moment with the whole, hope you don't get fed up with it all.

I would describe that as more like the punched cell method......it's not grafting.

Described in detail on Dave Cushmans site under punched cell....some use a rifle shell.

Dave Cushmans site is where I got the multi fan type smoker tube idea, mine has a shut off valve, I never saw the cell punch link but will go back and check it out.

I have been developing a brass tube cutter with more precission after seeing the syringe method that my freind uses, it involves high precission K&S brass tubing which slides very smoothly inside each other and has a stop limiter so things don't push too far, when its done I will post it up, I'm sure its all been done before but that won't stop me from trying to perfect certain things.

I have been practicing lots using a Bosch & Lomb head fiiting magnifier which makes close up work a doddle, they are not cheap but worth every penny.

Back