How much fondant is in a pollen patty?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norvic_chris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all -- really dopey question but I noted today that my bees had merely nibbled at a pollen patty (commercially made "Neopoll") after 10 days and I was just worried that perhaps there was little sugar in it and more pollen/pollen substitute.

German instructions on the packet (Google translator reveals that the actual ingredients are not listed) did not state there was any sugar inside. Getting concerned that I've taken care of their pollen needs and neglected their sugar needs (plenty of pollen coming into the hive today -- no idea where they got that from!). They don't seem overly stuffed with stores but the hive's not too light to make me really fret.

So, should I replace the pollen patty with a fondant slab or should I just chill :coolgleamA: and be happy they're alive, active and very low in varroa?

Thanks.

Thanks -- so I presume that means it has a fair amount of sugar in it and the fact the bees have largely ignored it means either it was too far from the brood nest (not the case I believe) or they simply don't need it.

As for homoeopathic doses, I would suggest 2% is WAY too much!! (No intention to offend, naturally.) Actually I'm disappointed it's so low. No wonder there wasn't a comprehensive list of ingredients on the packet!

Which makes it a fondant with a homeopathic dose of pollen

So you are saying about as useful as a chocolate teapot?

I would agree, if that is the analysis.

Useful as fondant - but expensive at three times the price.

Well, as long as it's useful as fondant, then all is not lost (and I bought it in a sale, so not as bad as it could be) and you've kindly answered my question! Thanks

Hi all,
Not invested time or money on this subject matter and just as well judging by this thread. I have just started collecting pollen balls that they drop through the mesh floor. Stick some in some home made fondant next year!