How long to leave queenless?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly Bees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
About a month ago I requeened one colony with the same strain of Queen she was a little slow in getting laying but she was laying reasonably well. However the bees have not been happy with her and have been continously trying to supercede her. Today I have decided to send her to bee heaven and replace her with a new Lady. Having despatched the old girl how long would it be wise to leave this colony Q- before introducing the new Queen?

Personally, I'd have let them supercede if that's what they wanted to do.

No doubt others will have differing ideas.

:O

sirously a queen could secsefully mate in this weather ? ok not to bad but well its not that good is it ? dont it have to be rather nice for a well mated queen ?

If I let them raise cells again its probably going to be around 4 weeks from now before any new Queen starts to lay ASSUMING decent weather prevails by which time the colony might have had two more brood cycles. I was wondering if the length of time the colony is left Q- would affect acceptance rates ie I want the colony to really WANT this Queen!

About a month ago I requeened one colony with the same strain of Queen she was a little slow in getting laying but she was laying reasonably well. However the bees have not been happy with her and have been continously trying to supercede her. Today I have decided to send her to bee heaven and replace her with a new Lady. Having despatched the old girl how long would it be wise to leave this colony Q- before introducing the new Queen?

should have left them to supercede her mate. The bees know best. Both mother and daughter can live side by side until the virgin queen mates. That way, the 'old' queen is still laying whilst waiting for the virgin to mate and begin laying

oh well, whats done is done now!!

I ve read many times that a couple of hours is enough for a colony to realise its queenless so therefore a new queen can be added then. I personal would leave it 24hrs just to make sure all of them know they are 100% queen less, including the forages. Iven left a new queen in her cage upto a week to make sure there was no agression towards her. Then removed the tab so they eat the fondant to free her

Once old queen has gone, remove any signs of queencells then you can introduce a new queen in a cage straight away - the bees will know the queen has gone in a very short space of time. Ensure the candy plug is hard so it takes a while to get eaten through. Otherwise keep the plastic tab of the queen cage closed for 24 hours before opening it. Leave for at least 3 days after that. If no plastic tab, put sellotape over the opening for 24 hours before the queen can be eaten out. (Bees are unlikely to eat through sellotape, they will eat through masking tape).
Note that in this case, the bees are wanting a new queen so acceptance is more likely than some other occasions. If there's little forage, a little syrup will keep the bees busy and happy - some say that it improves acceptance.

There's always a warning. No introduction is 100% guaranteed.

Perfect supercedure - where queen and daughter are in the hive together - is no way guaranteed and you could be without a laying-machine for weeks.

On first inspection, don't go crashing about in the hive for risk of the queen being balled. Careful with minimum disruption is needed, if you see eggs, great. Close up and leave alone.

ok new Queen in after 6 hours Q- they wwre very welcominig placed new lady on top of excluder almost all hive fanning like crazy so left them to it and closed up no balling evident. Yes I would have loved to let nature take its course and allow them to supercede their own way but this failed first time round on this colony so will keep you all informed as this is the 3rd "strain" of carnie this colony has had! this season!!

First, when you have a bad layer, there is no reason to take a daugter from that queen.

You have not time to rear a new queen. It starts to lay at the end of September.

So bye a queen.

If you wait 5 days, bees cap the emercengy cells and after that they are very ready to accept a new queen.

An idiotic sure system is that you make a nuc over the hive. You have a mesh on top. Then a box over mesh and there you put 2 frames of emerging frames. Shake every bee off.
When bees emerge they have had no queen and they accept a bought queen.
You stuck every hole upstairs. No bee come in or out. Ater 3 days you open the entrance. Queen lays and nuc has quite much bees.
At same time the nuc and the lower hive have same odor and you may unite them.
Then take care that all emercengy cells are destroyed.

Last edited:
ok lets see what happens.... I agree with your logic on your first two points finman. As for uniting I would probably wait a while as this would mean uniting 4 boxes of brood and bees at this stage (remember i am just a 1st year novice)!! Let the bees tell me!!

ok lets see what happens.... I agree with your logic on your first two points finman. As for uniting I would probably wait a while as this would mean uniting 4 boxes of brood and bees at this stage (remember i am just a 1st year novice)!! Let the bees tell me!!

and from where you get so good layers.

Perhaps you have 2 brood but not 15 frames of brood inside? Or have you?

4 boxes brood is awfully much.

The two colonies I would need to combine are Langstroth: first colony is on 10 frames of brood (still lots an lots of eggs as of today) 2nd colony with new Queen as of today is on 6 frames rest is stores pollen etc.

I know about bees after 50 y beekeeping.

10+6 frames need for winter 2 langstroth boxes. Not more.

But 10 frames is quite good.
6 frames is weak.

I use in my hives 3 brood boxes.

My hives have almost stoped laying. Autumn is quite near.

My hives have almost stoped laying.

And my hives are still expanding - that's what a difference of 9 degrees latitude and 22 degrees longitude can do (we are in a different country :D) - queen breeders around here will supply queens until September/October time. - there is plenty of time for this new introduced queen to make good.

BTW - Snelgrove recommends a period of between 4 and 24 hours for a hive to remain queenless before a new queen is introduced (in a cage) :)

Not so sure I would be relying on Mr Snelgrove for much, however Mr Manley is reliable I find.

PH

And my hives are still expanding - that's what a difference of 9 degrees latitude and 22 degrees longitude can do (we are in a different country :D) - queen breeders around here will supply queens until September/October time. - there is plenty of time for this new introduced queen to make good.
)

blaa blaa blaa.

My hives have 6 boxes on. How many you have?

I have not met that bad ass1st year beeper as you are. hööö.

As ive said lets see what happens... this ones been at odds with my other colonies which are still expanding brood, stores and pollen wise. something else Ive noticed is my carnies lay in slabs ie full frames of brood then full frame of stores etc whereas buckfast seems to lay in concentric rings etc.

My hives have 6 boxes on. How many you have?

Well we all know the truth of those who are obsessed with size !:)

Just because someone doesn't believe in your dogma Finman there is no need to start flinging insults.

Let's just discuss the OP's question shall we?

anyway, back on watch at two, so a bit of quiet reading before my bunk!

I would prefer to leave them 24 hours so they realise they are properly queenless.

PH

Latest posts

Back