How long before a queen goes "stale"?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drex

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Cannot find the answers in my books.
Last week I opened my one out lying hive for first proper inspection. No brood whatsoever, good population of contented bees. Could not find queen.
Put in test frame 4 days ago. No queen cells and no new eggs today.

Eventually found a queen, who was on the small side. Very few drones in this hive but plenty in my home hives which are about 10 miles away.

Thought there was a queen in there from the contented behaviour of the bees but it is now 21 + days since any eggs were laid, plus the 7 days since spotting this situation.

Unfortunately I did not have a queen marking pen with me, so will have to hunt for her all over again, if she does not come into lay.

I think I might have a few more days grace before having to write her off, but would like a rough idea about time of her mating window. Patience is not a problem for me.

The longest I had to wait several years ago were eggs in to week five.

Yes seen five weeks up here but the weather was rubbish.

No idea what it's like with you but here its been day after day of sunny but cool (ish) weather usually 13 to 14C so no excuse for getting out and after it.

I would be planning what to do if she is a write off.

PH

Already got those plans, but they do not include buying in.
According to a post from mbc in 2010.
"Yates study notes give her 37 days from graffting ( if I remember right, I've loaned my copy and not had it returned ! ) which would be 26 days from emerging before her vagina hardens and the mating 'window' closes . Its not often I'll find queens laying after only a fortnight here in west wales - three weeks is about right"

So she probably still has some time. I will wait and see.

Already got those plans, but they do not include buying in.
According to a post from mbc in 2010.
"Yates study notes give her 37 days from graffting ( if I remember right, I've loaned my copy and not had it returned ! ) which would be 26 days from emerging before her vagina hardens and the mating 'window' closes . Its not often I'll find queens laying after only a fortnight here in west wales - three weeks is about right"

So she probably still has some time. I will wait and see.

I wouldn't rely too much on Yates. It is notoriously erroneous.
Most of the literature I've read focuses on how soon a queen can mate rather than how late. However, the later in life she mates, the more likely the bees are to find a reason to supersede her (in my experience).

ADDED:
This bit from Sue Cobey may be relevant/informative even though it is primarily focussed on instrumental insemination. It does look at queen care.

Last edited:
Anatomy and Dissection of the Honeybee
By Harry Arthur Dade
‘The spermathecae contain a clear fluid … If the queen is not mated the clear fluid solidifies after a variable time and she is then ‘stale’. An unmated queen can lay only drone eggs.’
Winston ‘The Biology of the Honey Bee’ ‘Queens can postpone mating flights for up to four weeks after their emergence if weather conditions do not permit flight, but beyond that time they begin to degenerate and lay drone eggs.’
I have read somewhere 3 weeks, but cannot find that reference at the moment. She can of course be mated, but not laying.

Thanks all. I am just waiting for her to come into lay and see what sort of brood I get. If a DLQ she will be replaced with a spare from a unite from my home hives

Latest posts

Back