Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeb123

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
if a colony has chalk brood is the honey still fit for human consumption? Also is the super ok to go onto another hive?

But..... In my experience a strong hive soon shakes it off. Seems to arrive when the brood gets cold in a sudden cold spell.. Agree honey no problem at all
E

Ventilation helps avoid chalk brood. Only ever found it once in a hive and only 3-4 cells on about 3 frames. But then I don't bother with all the tea-cosy stuff either. Providing the hive is strong going into winter they don't need it and I don't lose colonies like some on here either - at least not for that reason. I replaced the affected frames with fresh ones and have not seen any more chalkbrood. All depends on how far it has infected the whole colony I suppose?

Well I'm the same really 4/5 cells over a couple of frames. My only other problem with this colony is its suspected queenless and workers laying. I will try and confirm this tonight

Ok so the chalk brood seems to have cleared right up only two cells spotted. Still no queen seen and all brood drone. looks like I'll be shaking this colony out

do it now don't wait any longer. let the workers strengthen your other hives.

Agreed! once shaken out I'll be left with 11 frames of bias/stores. Is there a way of cleaning these out so I get some spare comb or is it game over and new foundation?

Its been contaminated so you need to render the wax down and use it for wax conversion. It wouldn't be safe to use again.

Ok that's understandable. Is there a procedure if the a colony didn't have chalk brood?

Back