Honey for sale at Melbourne airport

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just back from the Antipodes. The pics show Manuka honey for sale in Melbourne airport. The 500g jars @ A$66 (£33) are labelled 'Bioactive 12+'. The 500g boxes
@A$128 (£64) are labelled 'Bioactive 20+' -I'm not sure what Bioactive means.
Whatever the case, not bad money for our Aussie colleagues!
BTW: stopped over in Malaysia. As my case came off the carousel in Kuala Lumpur SWMBO noticed it was covered in 'water'. Closer inspection showed one side was smeared all over with honey! Presumably a leak from someone's luggage. I hate to think of the mayhem within.

Attachments

• IMG_0146 Manuka Honey, Melbourne 2015.jpg
    IMG_0146 Manuka Honey, Melbourne 2015.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0147 Manuka Honey, Melbourne airport 2015.jpg
    IMG_0147 Manuka Honey, Melbourne airport 2015.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 28
Just back from the Antipodes. The pics show Manuka honey for sale in Melbourne airport. The 500g jars @ A$66 (£33) are labelled 'Bioactive 12+'. The 500g boxes
@A$128 (£64) are labelled 'Bioactive 20+' -I'm not sure what Bioactive means.
Whatever the case, not bad money for our Aussie colleagues!

http://honeycentre.com/Manuka_Honey_Info.php

Great bit of marketing again ... and in the small print it's product of New Zealand not even native Australian - the stuff gets everywhere - what the 20+ relates to I've no idea but it's a rating system which is 'explained' on the above website but what is doesn't seem to say is now they measure whatever it is they are rating .... Like I said - Great marketing. Perhaps we should have a similar rating system for UK honey ... what secret ingredient have we got that the rest of the world hasn't ....

PS: The claimed active ingredient found in Manuka honey is MethylGlyoxal but .. apparently, when this is eliminated from Manuka honey it still retains it's healing properties ... best of both worlds - like I said - great marketing !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylglyoxal

"Methylglyoxal is an active component of manuka honey. However, after neutralization of this compound manuka honey retains bactericidal activity due to unknown factors.[10] Methylglyoxal can not be directly linked and stated as the main content to the antimicrobial and antibacterial activities in manuka honey"

Attributed to :- Molan, P. (2008). "An explanation of why the MGO level in manuka honey does not show the antibacterial activity". New Zealand BeeKeeper 16 (4): 11–13.

Last edited:
We in Norfolk have a speciality honey, Mustard and Radish with a touch of Ivy. Far better and more medicinal than the NZ stuff, I'm hoping, Jed and I the rights to this wonderful stuff.

Looking for a name any suggestions.

All raw honeys present anti-bacterial properties due to the presence of glucose oxidase, a naturally occurring enzyme that sterilizes bacteria on contact with honey through the production of hydrogen peroxide. Some honeys have been identified to contain additional, naturally occurring properties that contribute to unusually potent antibacterial effects.

Some of honeys antimicrobial properties are also due to its high hygroscopic properties. Being such a concentrated sugar solution it literally "sucks" the moisture out air/wounds etc. i.e it don't leave enough free water around for bacteria, fungii yeasts to enable them to grown. When applied to wounds it provides a viscous liquid barrier preventing desiccation of wound by air, but inside the barrier where it contacts any infection it removes the available moisture that bacteria need to grow. It seems to work on many levels.

We in Norfolk have a speciality honey, Mustard and Radish with a touch of Ivy. Far better and more medicinal than the NZ stuff, I'm hoping, Jed and I the rights to this wonderful stuff.

Looking for a name any suggestions.​

Bee Spit?

:sorry:

Some of honeys antimicrobial properties are also due to its high hygroscopic properties. Being such a concentrated sugar solution it literally "sucks" the moisture out air/wounds etc. i.e it don't leave enough free water around for bacteria, fungii yeasts to enable them to grown. When applied to wounds it provides a viscous liquid barrier preventing desiccation of wound by air, but inside the barrier where it contacts any infection it removes the available moisture that bacteria need to grow. It seems to work on many levels.

Ideal for slapping on your toast then! :D

Looking for a name any suggestions.

How about "Puss-Stop Honey - does what it says on the jar!"

CVB

Back