hiving a swarm in the rain

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrekfeet

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, just been informed of a boxed swarm for me to collect tomorrow morning. I think the weather is due to be really wet, how would you recommend getting them in the hive?

Quickly!
If the box is waterproof put it on top of the hive until the rain eases up.
E

Shake them in after six then they will not want to go anywhere.

My bees were still flying at eight yesterday, doesn't bed time depend on sun and temperature rather than time?

"I think the weather is due to be really wet"

Yes I have seen bees flying into dusk when it's warm but the OP has pointed out the weather outlook is not good.

btw I agree tip / shake (if possible with someone holding a brolly over hive).

If it's not raining too hard it will not hurt them, I have had to do inspections in light rain the last couple of weeks.

"I think the weather is due to be really wet"

Yes I have seen bees flying into dusk when it's warm but the OP has pointed out the weather outlook is not good.

btw I agree tip / shake (if possible with someone holding a brolly over hive).

If it's not raining too hard it will not hurt them, I have had to do inspections in light rain the last couple of weeks.

Yes I agree if a helper can be found the brolly tech. would be good. I aim to use a sun umbrella that I can push into the ground today.

The main problem is the poster. 'I think' is defeatist. It rarely rains so hard, for so long, at this time of the year that all beekeeping is suspended for a whole day. Exactly how long does it take to pour the bees into a hive? Where would these bees be if they were not collected and had not yet re-homed themselves?

I would recommend the method of:

Wait for a lull in the downpour.
Remove roof and crownboard of recipient hive.
Remove a couple or three central frames.
Transfer bees to box ensuring all are out of the swarm box.
Replace crownboard and wait about 5 mins.
Replace frames (removed previously) taking care not to crush bees.
Replace crownboard and roof.
Job done.

If the bees are already on frames, it is just as easy, if not easier!

No real problem at all, as far as I can see. Anyone who thinks the worst, before even looking out the window, needs to think carefully about how bees have got by for millions of years.

Latest posts

Back