Hi from NL

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klemm

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello,
I'm in the Netherlands, on the coast near the Grand Prix circuit. I don't have any bees or any plans to get any, but I want to help with the apiary on our allotment site, so I'm learning all I can. I'm a long-time lurker here.
I did a beekeeping course in the 80s in Cornwall where I grew up, and once attended a talk by Brother Adam at Buckfast Abbey, but I have no recent experience.

I think you may want your own bees one day! It sort of gets you like that! Best way to learn though, with other people's bees😆
Welcome

Did you go into a hive with brother Adam? I believe no gloves or veil were the order of the day. Just don't think all bees are so well behaved, mine can be little rascals when they want to be lol.

:welcome:

I love a sporting challenge.

Did you go into a hive with brother Adam? I believe no gloves or veil were the order of the day. Just don't think all bees are so well behaved, mine can be little rascals when they want to be lol.
It was a talk about breeding Buckfast queens, but no hives were opened. In his photos he wore only a habit, no veil or gloves. I'd seen him on Blue Peter a few years before and jumped at the chance to hear him speak. I was 15, I think, so this would be 1984.
I was first introduced to beekeeping by my German cousin, then took a course and later worked on a honey farm one holiday.
So I've set up and requeened hives, harvested honey and caught swarms, but it's so long ago I've never seen a Varroa mite in real life.

Latest posts

Back