Help needed in West Sussex

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone.
I couldn't get into the chat on my Blackberry Playbook.
I do have a see-through crown board.

Very happy to have been offered some help from dpearce4, if I get more bees I will certainly accept this offer of help.

Isn't waiting for a swarm a bit hit and miss?
Perhaps I should bite the bullet and order a nuc just to be sure of getting some bees?

Isn't waiting for a swarm a bit hit and miss?

Most associations have a policy of distributing any caught swarms to newbees (and potentially others) without bees.
They have established contact procedures, so they get the calls.
Your chance of being favoured with such a gift may depend on your position on a date-order list, your nearness to where the swarm happens to be, your preparedness and availability to receive, and just possibly your standing in the association (done the association's course, perceived as keen, etc).

Whereas, waiting for a swarm to turn up in your bait hive is entirely a matter of chance - though by skilled setting of the bait, you can improve your odds, if there are bees swarming within a mile or two of you.

I doubt if the large companies like Paines will have any nucs left for early delivery as they have been hit by the bad weather the same as the rest of us.

My first point of call would be to go to the West sussex auction at brinsbury, its on the 27th april. Mind you the prices maybe very high even there as its the first auction of the season and I have a feeling there will be very few to be sold.

I can understand why you joined the Wisbrough green BKA, I nearly did to, the reason I didn't was the distance. As a member of theirs you are more than welcome to come to our meetings at Worthing.

We even have a full day session with Roger Patterson if you would like to come alone to that.

Depending on how my colonies increase over the next couple of weeks, I may well be able to supply a nuc for you at a much reduced price to the ones that are being quoted on some sites. I am looking to increase my stocks but maybe able to help you out, and my bees are local bred queens that produce honey well, while being mild tempered. I also run 14x12 and commercials so as you are using deep nationals there would be no need to change frames when you put them in your BBox.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back