Has my queen gone

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billycasper

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
because of the howling wind and rain i haven't been to the hive for around 12 days or so as i thought it would be the wrong thing to do.
I went this morning and found the following:
1. lots of wasps (i must have killed more than 10, allthugh they seemed to disappear after i put hive back together)
2. very little new brood
3. no eggs that i could see.
4. all previous drone brood hatched but ne drones around.
5. looked for the queen but didn't see her
6. some of previous honey stores been used.
7. lots of bees around and a few still brining in pollen.
no signs of verroah at all (have't been any yet, even when lots f drone brood). I have had 1 play cup this year but no other queen cups.

It's my first year so any advice would be welcome.

because of the howling wind and rain i haven't been to the hive for around 12 days or so as i thought it would be the wrong thing to do.
I went this morning and found the following:
1. lots of wasps (i must have killed more than 10, allthugh they seemed to disappear after i put hive back together)
2. very little new brood
3. no eggs that i could see.
4. all previous drone brood hatched but ne drones around.
5. looked for the queen but didn't see her
6. some of previous honey stores been used.
7. lots of bees around and a few still brining in pollen.
no signs of verroah at all (have't been any yet, even when lots f drone brood). I have had 1 play cup this year but no other queen cups.

It's my first year so any advice would be welcome.

Cannot say for sure but:
1) There are lots of wasps now trying to rob hives. Unless you found many inside the hive then no need to worry
2) Queen will slow down naturally at this time of year
3) May have gone off lay what with bad weather and now Autumn
4) Most drones will now have been evicted from hives
5) Do you normally see her every time
6) Again if bad weather then the bees will have been hungry
7) Good- probably ivy pollen
Varroa - trust me they will have some somewhere

1. Where were they?

2. Open brood or capped? So she was there less than 10 days ago (if open brood)? How young (or approx how old) is the brood?

3. How able are you in checking for this?

5. Marked or not? Can you spot the queen regularly.

6. Not unusual.

7. Are you treating for varroa?

8. She is probably there. Obviously can't say for sure. You need a test frame to be sure she is not there (which you won't have, presumably).

More history might be good.

RAB

couple of points re this time of year.

most/many people have stopped internal inspections some weeks ago and are happily in the dark about what is happening inside the hive now. by looking you have thrown up questions many do not have to ask or answer themselves!!!!

are you feeding (should be if they are using up stores)?? most/many are.

are you treating for varroa? most/many are.

only inspect if you have specific questions that need answering NOT just for enjoyment.

Many thanks for your replies. The wasps were around the hive rather than in it (apart from when i opened it!). There was a bit of fighting going on with the bees, I saw at least 3 bee v wasp wrestling matches going on.
i normally do see eggs and spot them quickly and i often (although not always) see the queen as shee is marked.
I am feeding now and am a bit worried that i was too late.
In terms of verroa, ive been very keen on looking for it and have found no evidence of it. Consequently i haven't treated them yet as i thought it was an October closing up for winter job. I shall do it later this week.
The brood that is there is all capped and i've noticed a bit moreof chalk brood recently.

By the sounds of your very welcome responces I think my best course of action over the next couple of weeks is to treat for verroa, keep feeding, stop inspecting and put n the winter door/ mouse guard (both?).

does this sound right?

In terms of verroa, ive been very keen on looking for it and have found no evidence of it. Consequently i haven't treated them yet as i thought it was an October closing up for winter job. I shall do it later this week.

How were you looking for varroa?

The best way to confirm you have them (!) is to treat. Either with apiguard now, or by drone sacrifice and checking the larvae, or icing sugar then putting the tray in.

If you have an open mesh floor the inspection tray should NOT be in except when briefly monitoring varroa drop (after icing sugar for example), or the whole time you are treating with apiguard. It isnt necessarily a big deal if you have been leaving the tray in this year - we did all last year thinking that we were meant to be monitoring drop all the time, but the benefit of open mesh floor is the ventilation.

[VID][/VID]
most/many people have stopped internal inspections some weeks ago and are happily in the dark about what is happening inside the hive now.

Which as we mostly have mild Septembers I would suggest is questionable. We've done the lot this last weekend and had to give two top bar hives more bars as there were large festoons of comb-building bees....
....a luxury most box hive bees I'd suggest (including ours) don't tend to have going into October...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back