Has anyone ever been to a BBKA spring convention!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louiseww

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 hives
I am going to be up near Warwick in April and wondered whether to go as a newbeek!
Has anyone ever been to one of these things? If so what did you think and how much did you get out of it?
Louise:cuss:

I go quite regularly .
There are lectures (usually over subscribed. BEE early bee-smillie).
Lot's going on ,lots of stalls selling bee related stuff plus fringe crafts ( skep making, wax painting etc.)
well worth visiting .
Sitting by and listening to a group of experienced beekeepers chewing the rag can enlighten the newbie in all sorts of ways ;)

John W

I went last year and had 3 days!!
lots of talks and seminars to attend, and as john says, all the suppliers there on the saturday.
some of the workshops may need to be booked in advance, ie, microscopy and some others.
i bought some cheap bits and pieces and a gross of jars for £30. (saves a bit on postage).
so for me it was well worth while, i had a great time and met some very interesting beeks as well!!

Been three times. Never worked out how to attend lectures yet, though to be honest not found the programme very enticing.

TBH mostly go to talk to Hamish from Conon Bridge.

PH

Went last year, before I even had my bees Thought it was brill, I had already started learning quite a bit of theory before hand but still learnt loads. Can never know it all:.)

Agree, do bee early to lectures and how to fit in looking around on Saturday is still a mystery to me:.)
Di:.)

Thanks everyone, better get my cheque in then for the member's day on the Friday
L

Hi Louiseww. If you're after equipment, Saturday may be the best day - but get there early as queues to get in are diabolical. Friday is, as you rightly say, members' day - good for lectures and a bimble round. The big suppliers are setting out their wares on Friday. You'll need knee and elbow pads and one of those rugby players' head protectors on for the big squeeze on Saturday! Loads of stuff is attractively discounted for one of the biggest sales opportunities of the year and the hive bits particularly go very quickly.

Some of the lectures are by pre-registration and a fee payable and are often in demand. Others may be oversubscribed. If you're interested in any, 'book early' is my advice.

Hi Louiseww. If you're after equipment, Saturday may be the best day - but get there early as queues to get in are diabolical. Friday is, as you rightly say, members' day - good for lectures and a bimble round. The big suppliers are setting out their wares on Friday. You'll need knee and elbow pads and one of those rugby players' head protectors on for the big squeeze on Saturday! Loads of stuff is attractively discounted for one of the biggest sales opportunities of the year and the hive bits particularly go very quickly.

Some of the lectures are by pre-registration and a fee payable and are often in demand. Others may be oversubscribed. If you're interested in any, 'book early' is my advice.

Saturday is better if it your first time as the trade fair is on

you can try on the bee suits before you buy, cheepo ply hives, second quality hive, frames and cheeper foundation always look for the bargains especially thing like varroa mesh, metal runner, castelation etc much cheeper

never been there. do you have to get tickets or its free pass.. ? might be stupid question but got to ask if don't know.

Lauri

so if not a member of any ass. but still a beekeeper then no way of getting in ?

Yep you can get in as a non-member - pay a bit extra though. Members only on Friday and Sunday.

Last edited:
Thanks
Can't do Saturday, because I will be going to see my football team play, but thinking about Friday or Sunday.
Louise

The website system to buy tickets is not working, I have complained as they said it would be running be early January but didn't get a satisfactory answer!

its a double edge sword , i go alot because iam just up the road and i used to live near by , i many go to see several friends and colleges, blokes, tea, chatting,what us !!! never

it is great because you can get to see almost every product on the market several times i have thought about buying an item untill i saw it in the flesh and thought, nope,

the amount of second quality equipment avalible is amazing with stalls having PALLETS OF IT, BUT and its quite a massive but you will be jioned by 2,000 other people looking to buy 50 frames for £35 so it is very very crowded and very very rough, i have seen people snatch bundles of frames off other beeks,

think harrods , think boxing day sale, think of one pound fur coats, think of being trampled to death, but its worth it, may i suggest that if you do want to buy some thing then get there before 8 am que for an hour untill they let you through the doors and then just find the biggest bloke you can and hide behind him. or bring your own big bloke as he can also carry you stuff home

there is apart from the stalls of equipents and frames lots of suppliers of clothing and other equipment which does not get so rammed and alot are very good price wise

the lectures are not realy my thing as they dont touch on the subjects or depth that i am looking for.

great social event though.
and i would suggest that everyone has at least one visit to decide if its for you

Latest posts

Back