hair roller equivalent for jzbz cup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking into grafting next year so am in the process of selecting kit.

I was taught on the jzbz cup this year with a chinese grafting tool.

One of the things like about the nicot system are the hair rollers. These, for me, are a handy safety net if I can't make it to the apiary on the 11th day to move - or it's raining etc.

I can't find an equivalent hair roller type device that clips over the jzbz cell cup to protect it from other queens and cages them in if they emerge.

I've seen two possible solutions:

1. graft directly into nicot cups.
2. On Internet there is a chap who takes the sealed cells and puts them into frame and pops them back into the hive.

Any recommendations from more experienced hands?

cheers

Queen Cages for JZBZ

I'm looking into grafting next year so am in the process of selecting kit.

One of the things like about the nicot system are the hair rollers. These, for me, are a handy safety net if I can't make it to the apiary on the 11th day to move - or it's raining etc.

I can't find an equivalent hair roller type device that clips over the jzbz cell cup to protect it from other queens and cages them in if they emerge.

I've seen two possible solutions:

1. graft directly into nicot cups.
2. On Internet there is a chap who takes the sealed cells and puts them into frame and pops them back into the hive.

Any recommendations from more experienced hands?

cheers
Your not the only one. The one and only thing i found frustrating was i also had the same problem. If your a day late and one hatches out early, disaster!!
There only option is to a, be on time and b, transfer them in to individual hand made cages in to an incubator. Then use or wait until hatch. I was talking to "Hivemaker" about this the other day in a PM and it might be worth starting a new thread re direct introduction or cells versus direct introduction of emerged Virgins.
Anyway all of this needs cages around the cells.
JZBZ do great queen cell protection cages, but no actual "cages", anyone else got any ideas because i would like to know too!! Good thread Domino!!

The Chinese grafting tools are a good way to start. Its easy to push the larva off if you get it too far onto the tool....but...it is by no means the only / best tool on the market. You just have to find one that you are comfortable with and works for you.
A couple of things to watch out for:
rolling - the larva has spiracles along one side so, if you roll it over, the larva can drown
stretching - the larva is curled into a nice small "c" in the bottom of its cell. Its easy to stretch it out of position during the grafting process. This can make it easier to roll it over or damage it.
The Nicot system (http://www.nicotplast.fr/apianglais/queenbreeding/queen-breeding-material.htm) is so comprehensive, I don't consider anything else. The JzBz product is really geared more for big american queen rearers who produce thousands of queens (https://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/21/Queens-Bees/Queen-Rearing/4303/JZBZ-Queen-Cages)

Your not the only one. The one and only thing i found frustrating was i also had the same problem. If your a day late and one hatches out early, disaster!!
There only option is to a, be on time and b, transfer them in to individual hand made cages in to an incubator. Then use or wait until hatch. I was talking to "Hivemaker" about this the other day in a PM and it might be worth starting a new thread re direct introduction or cells versus direct introduction of emerged Virgins.
Anyway all of this needs cages around the cells.
JZBZ do great queen cell protection cages, but no actual "cages", anyone else got any ideas because i would like to know too!! Good thread Domino!!

I noticed a typo in my OP. This chap takes the cells off when they are sealed and puts them a hair roller cage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOB6czXNhc

This may be something I try.

BHS (Beehivesupplies) the polly hive manufacturers sold me some cups that fitted on top if the " hair roller" cages, the sealed queen cell fits comfortably inside and the emergance opening hangs down into the hair roller cage, the cage also fits the Nicot system cell cup holder.
I had great success with this system this year using a Hopkins board and punching the queen cells out with a 4/3" pipe fitting olive... silver soldered to a stick!... exact fit.
The add on cups also have a lid to accommodate queen cells not in the cup holders.
Good luck... raise 1000's of local bees!

Mytten da

Nicot now do it!!!

CNE7 : NATURAL CELL BLOCK* with Cap B2*

Place natural cell in Block CNE7. Close with Cap B2, fixed on Support CNE1.

If you want collect the queen, fit Cage CNE5 on the whole.

Latest posts

Back